General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

crossing sides again? **bought the car today**

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The A4 is certainly a plus, I wouldn't even consider the M6 myself. The car looks really nice other than the missing seat belt guide and the big screen aftermarket radio.

Not too many WS6 Trans Ams came with those base seats either. Most had the inflatable/articulating buckets (RPO AQ9 I believe.) Someone may have custom ordered this car originally.
The aftermarket radio is annoying and will likely be replaced, and the seat belt guide is a common missing item, will replace it eventually.

the seats are actually very comfortable, honestly i prefer these over the leather seats in my 14' GT premium. It may be a custom build i have all the original documentation from when the car rolled off the lot in 98 including the window sticker. sold for 29k sticker price back in the day. owner kept everything from oil change receipts to tires. very nice and rare to accompany a 98 car.

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Congratulations on the purchase.
I know many owners don't like to share purchase price info but several of us here use that info to help others with their questions in the 'What's It Worth' section. Real world prices help us out to assist others if you feel like sharing. Thanks!
no prob i dont see the point in hiding what you pay, America is the only country thats so uptight about money and paychecks. everywhere else ive been has not had that issue at all. paid 9k for the car and i feel i got a good deal, if i didnt then oh well whats done is done but at least im happy.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

this reminds me of a around 2000 or so ill say z28 i see once in awhile owned by some wealthy old lady lol.

its red with chrome stock rims. i think it has cloth int. with an auto. the clear is peeling off the back bumper but its always parked inside and looks like it never moves.

id love to buy it from her but i have no room.probably not for sale anyway.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

9k was a good deal imo
Old 03-06-2016, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by madmike9396
9k was a good deal imo
for that car hell yes i agree.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Bird OP!!!

Hell I'd pay 9k for that no problem in that condition with 40k miles. Just can't beat red…Classic.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

$9K was excellent. I'd have pegged the value more like $11K, even $12K. Looks like you bought the car for just under the NADA clean retail list of $9600 (KBB is only at $8K). Now go find me one of these listed for $9600 listed in any dealer's lot around the country. You'll never find one. Here's a case where the price guides underestimate the value of both the defunct Pontiac brand and the low miles. NADA gives a $2,250 mileage premium vs. a car with 165,000 miles average!! How insane is that? That works out to be $180 per every 10K miles. The cosmetic/wear gap between a 40K mile car and one with 165K miles is huge. You could have bought a 165K mile car for $7,350. The low mileage specimens are where the deals are. If on a dealer's lot it would have been listed for $12K-$15K.

Probably not easy finding the original SOTL exhaust of these '98's. I'd be tempted to keep it....and enjoy answering questions on why one of my exhaust tips/pipes is "missing." A lot of enthusiasts consider the SOTL "sound" to be classic and therefore sought after, regardless of the off-balanced look. Fwiw, I inquired on a red '98 A4 with 38K miles back in 2011 owned by an elderly gentleman in his 60's. And of course like a dummy I asked why one exhaust pipe was missing...lol. The ask price was $10,500 and that was cheap for that time...probably the lowest one I ran across, but too far away. You did even better. And I was looking for a car just like yours back in 2011 but couldn't find one "nearby." I'd love a 40K mile A4 WS6 to "putter" around in.

It looks like you found the right car. Good job.

Last edited by Firebrian; 03-06-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Firebrian
$9K was excellent. I'd have pegged the value more like $11K, even $12K. Looks like you bought the car for just under the NADA clean retail list of $9600 (KBB is only at $8K). Now go find me one of these listed for $9600 listed in any dealer's lot around the country. You'll never find one. Here's a case where the price guides underestimate the value of both the defunct Pontiac brand and the low miles. NADA gives a $2,250 mileage premium vs. a car with 165,000 miles average!! How insane is that? That works out to be $180 per every 10K miles. The cosmetic/wear gap between a 40K mile car and one with 165K miles is huge. You could have bought a 165K mile car for $7,350. The low mileage specimens are where the deals are. If on a dealer's lot it would have been listed for $12K-$15K.

Probably not easy finding the original SOTL exhaust of these '98's. I'd be tempted to keep it....and enjoy answering questions on why one of my exhaust tips/pipes is "missing." A lot of enthusiasts consider the SOTL "sound" to be classic and therefore sought after, regardless of the off-balanced look. Fwiw, I inquired on a red '98 A4 with 38K miles back in 2011 owned by an elderly gentleman in his 60's. And of course like a dummy I asked why one exhaust pipe was missing...lol. The ask price was $10,500 and that was cheap for that time...probably the lowest one I ran across, but too far away. You did even better. And I was looking for a car just like yours back in 2011 but couldn't find one "nearby." I'd love a 40K mile A4 WS6 to "putter" around in.

It looks like you found the right car. Good job.

Yea its in better condition than i was expecting. I was on the verge of selling my daily but now id feel comfortable just rocking this thing especially since i pay less than 150 a month on it. I will hold on the the stang for awhile so i have time to mess with the t/a and change all fluids and do the dreaded spark plug change.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

usnfenix, thank you! Excellent purchase. Enjoy!
Old 03-07-2016, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
.....so i have time to mess with the t/a and change all fluids and do the dreaded spark plug change.
Is the spark plug change really needed at "only" 40K miles. Yeah, I know they've been in there for 17-18 years, but the car sounds like it was mostly kept out of the elements and treated fairly well. My car is at 17K miles and the plugs are still original. I'd like to hear RPM WS6's thoughts on this one.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Is the spark plug change really needed at "only" 40K miles. Yeah, I know they've been in there for 17-18 years, but the car sounds like it was mostly kept out of the elements and treated fairly well. My car is at 17K miles and the plugs are still original. I'd like to hear RPM WS6's thoughts on this one.
Does it need it probably not if the motors purring like a kitten, but the EGR and junk 98 PCV system sucking oil into the combustion chambers I'd give em a change. At least take #2 & #6 out and see how they look, it is tempting to let her go to 60K before bloodying up the knuckles etc. but it's your car your call.
I'd change everything fluids etc just so its all done at once and you know its done, and done right.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol whats the "only". carfax verified and registration records are true to the odometer.

Originally Posted by TX98Z28
Does it need it probably not if the motors purring like a kitten, but the EGR and junk 98 PCV system sucking oil into the combustion chambers I'd give em a change. At least take #2 & #6 out and see how they look, it is tempting to let her go to 60K before bloodying up the knuckles etc. but it's your car your call.
I'd change everything fluids etc just so its all done at once and you know its done, and done right.
This^

yea it runs fine and probably doesn't need a spark change but in addition to changing all the fluids i want to change em for my own piece of mind. I do still intend to drive it across the country to my new duty station.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Well, spark plugs don't go bad from sitting so age alone is certainly no reason to change them. On the other hand, not knowing the history of the car and how it was driven (always short trips, or lots of highway, or some combo of the two?) means that the plugs might not be in ideal condition any longer, even at 40k. Having said that, unless they are oil fouled then a few decent expressway trips with a couple WOT runs would clean away most minor carbon buildup.

Overall, it's not a bad idea to pull at least a few and see how they look, but I wouldn't expect much (if any) measurable benefit from changing them at this mileage.

FWIW, these have been my experiences with the assembly line issued plugs:

On my daily driver '02 car I pulled them for the first time at 100k miles, much of this was expressway mileage, just as recommended. They had a perfect wear pattern and perfect coloring, looked like they could have gone for another 100k. I changed them anyway, with new Delco iridiums, and noticed no appreciable difference in performance or MPG....perhaps there was 0.25-0.50 mpg improvement at most. Idle was a bit smoother.

My '99 car I didn't own long enough to ever change the plugs. Bought it brand new and sold it with the factory platinums never being touched.

My '00 car, I also bought it brand new but I changed the plugs several times during the process of building and racing it. It had an aftermarket cam and I experimented with tuning on this car, so plug wear/fouling isn't comparable to a stock engine in this application.

On my '98, I pulled the plugs shortly after buying it at 11k miles, that was 12 years ago. The stock platinums looked like new still, but I changed them for a set of copper tipped NGKs since I had good experiences with them in my '00 car and wanted to see how they performed in a stock engine. I remember that the idle seemed to be marginally smoother, maybe it was just in my head, no change in performance otherwise though.

FWIW, that same set of NGK TR55s from 12 years ago is still in my '98 today. They only have about 6,000 miles on them. The car runs as flawlessly as it did the day I put them in, so I see no reason to change them again at such low mileage. These modern EFI cars don't really need plug changes very often unless the engine is modified and the tune isn't (or can't be made) precise. Even my old SBC Nova, with a mildly built engine and Holley performance carb, has been on the same set of plugs for about 5-6 years now (probably ~4,000 miles), and when I looked at a couple last year they were still great. The upgraded MSD ignition probably helps, and I've put a bunch of time into tuning the carb for the best average blend of performance/driveability/efficiency, but you can't ever get a carb to be as precisely tuned under all running conditions as what can be achieved with EFI. So as long as my '71 doesn't need new plugs, I'm sure my stock '98 doesn't either.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

but the EGR and junk 98 PCV system sucking oil into the combustion chambers I'd give em a change.
The '98 PCV system, though it does put the valve in a slightly different spot, isn't any better or worse that the other years.

Having said that, the lack of coil pack mounting rails on a '98 does make the typical plugs change process a bit different (for those who do this from the top, like me.)
Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

only done the plug change once, was during the header install on my 01 SS. seemed to be the only time it was feasible. I will do headers on this car so maybe at the same time again. however if they look good then perhaps ill keep em. wouldn't be changing them for performance just for peace of mind.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Launching!

The '98 PCV system, though it does put the valve in a slightly different spot, isn't any better or worse that the other years.

Having said that, the lack of coil pack mounting rails on a '98 does make the typical plugs change process a bit different (for those who do this from the top, like me.)
I agree. I was thinking of the ls6 PCV conversion vs the 98-02 PCV system in my head and for some reason I typed 98 PCV.

Changing plugs sucks on are year camaro from the top, only done it twice and both times my hands and arms looked like a rabid cat attacked me.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by usnfenix
only done the plug change once, was during the header install on my 01 SS. seemed to be the only time it was feasible. I will do headers on this car so maybe at the same time again. however if they look good then perhaps ill keep em. wouldn't be changing them for performance just for peace of mind.
On the '01 (or any '99-'02), it's not so bad really. Simply unbolting the AIR tube from the manifold and removing the coil rail on the passenger side is really all you need to do. Some people find removing the coil rail a real hassle the first time due to one 10mm bolt at the back of the rail, in fact most people never reinstall that bolt. It's really not hard to remove if you have a small, ratcheting box end wrench (I bought one specifically for this job years ago - it worked perfectly.) Once that rail is off and the AIR tube is out of the way, you can access all four plugs on the passenger side well enough to change them.

On the '98s it's a bit different though, as there is no coil rail (coil packs are individually bolted directly to the valve cover).....

Changing plugs sucks on are year camaro from the top, only done it twice and both times my hands and arms looked like a rabid cat attacked me.
On a '98 you actually don't have to remove any of the coils to access the plugs from the top, unlike a '99+, because they don't stick out as far/high due to not being mounted to a rail. The downside is, it's a much tighter fit without the coils removed, and to remove them individually is a much bigger hassle than just pulling the rail on a '99+ car.

You'll still want to pull the AIR tube (for those with AIR still intact), but if you then put your knee on the battery and hover over the engine bay, you can reach down and back to access the #6 & #8 plugs. Yeah, your arm will get hacked up a bit. You can remove the coils individually and make just as much access room as the later years, but it's a matter of opinion as to whether or not this is more of a hassle than it's worth.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Launching!

On the '01 (or any '99-'02), it's not so bad really. Simply unbolting the AIR tube from the manifold and removing the coil rail on the passenger side is really all you need to do. Some people find removing the coil rail a real hassle the first time due to one 10mm bolt at the back of the rail, in fact most people never reinstall that bolt. It's really not hard to remove if you have a small, ratcheting box end wrench (I bought one specifically for this job years ago - it worked perfectly.) Once that rail is off and the AIR tube is out of the way, you can access all four plugs on the passenger side well enough to change them.

On the '98s it's a bit different though, as there is no coil rail (coil packs are individually bolted directly to the valve cover).....

On a '98 you actually don't have to remove any of the coils to access the plugs from the top, unlike a '99+, because they don't stick out as far/high due to not being mounted to a rail. The downside is, it's a much tighter fit without the coils removed, and to remove them individually is a much bigger hassle than just pulling the rail on a '99+ car.

You'll still want to pull the AIR tube (for those with AIR still intact), but if you then put your knee on the battery and hover over the engine bay, you can reach down and back to access the #6 & #8 plugs. Yeah, your arm will get hacked up a bit. You can remove the coils individually and make just as much access room as the later years, but it's a matter of opinion as to whether or not this is more of a hassle than it's worth.
I'd much rather leave the coils in place and just deal with it, pain in the ***. Replacing #7 #8 coils were the most pain in the *** things and it seems so simple but it's not, the worst part was the damn electrical connecter and thats with me literally laying over the motor/engine bay LOL

I'd say replacing #7 #8 coils is worse than #7 #8 spark plugs, what a PITA it was.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I'd much rather leave the coils in place and just deal with it, pain in the ***. Replacing #7 #8 coils were the most pain in the *** things and it seems so simple but it's not, the worst part was the damn electrical connecter and thats with me literally laying over the motor/engine bay LOL

I'd say replacing #7 #8 coils is worse than #7 #8 spark plugs, what a PITA it was.
#7 is at the back of the driver's side. That plug isn't so bad. On the other hand, #6 and #8 on the passenger side are a pain.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

either way not looking forward to it, but maybe the header install will make things easier.

and of course the EGR and AIR will be deleted i see no reason for keeping them.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the purchase usnfenix. Nice car and sounds like you got a really good deal!!!

I also own a 98 WS6 (Vert) but in black. Picked it up almost 2 years ago and it still has less than 30K miles.

Quick Reply: crossing sides again? **bought the car today**