General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Opinions on 2001 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on 2001 Camaro SS

Hey everyone, I have a 2001 Camaro SS with 176k miles on it. It has a T56, 4.10 gears, lowered a little, LS6 intake, nothing too special. I bought it when I turned 17 and now that I have had it for 2 years and sold one of my other cars I am looking into start working on it. I was raised on 1960's Chevy's and trying to learn more about the LS's. I am pretty responsible and have a daily driver and this is just my fun car but I definitely want to do this car the right way.

My plans for this car is a fun street car that handles decently, that I can go run around town or on short road trips, and that can do decent on the 1/4 mile (just for fun at the track a few times each year) maybe somewhere in the 11-12 seconds range. Part of the reason I love these cars is because of the reliability they are known for (I was raised around Big block Chevy's that my dad was/is always doing something to). I know this is kind of going in different directions with a build but I know it can be doable since it isn't going too extreme in any direction.

I am a college student right now (but my work pays for schooling and I live at home) so I am not broke but definitely want to set a budget and try to stick to it as much as possible. I am hoping to keep it somewhere around $4-5k. Thats how much I have set aside to build this right now but to do it right I could save more.

I have had a lot of different suggestions:
1. Keep the LS1 and just do heads/cam, headers, exhaust, tune
2. Build a 6.0 over time and just drive it with the 5.7 for now
3. Rebuild the 5.7 and do a few bolt ons
4. Build a mild turbo car with the 5.7

I have looked over the forum and many others and I seem to get more confused the more options I see. So any advice on a budget build for the drivetrain of the car (one of the options or a different one, heads/cam combo, etc.) and for the suspension setup of the car to make it handle better would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance
Old 04-20-2016, 03:11 AM
TECH Regular

A factory new SS handled pretty damn good honestly. Just put new Koni shocks/struts on it which is what it came with, not whatever the parts store sells the cheapest. Also get some good high performance summer tires on it. Basically get it back to like it was new from the factory in 01, with new KONI shocks/struts and good rubber; they handled great when new. You're asking for build advise but you have already listed pretty much all the options sooo, just taking a poll then? **** you asked, so here's what I would do. 176K or not, don't worry about rebuilding it if you're staying n/a if it's still in good shape. If it doesn't use any oil, make any weird noises, and still has good compression, then it still has a lot of life in it and a rebuild would be pre-mature. Assuming the engine is good to go, I'd just build the ls1 in it. With it being an 01, you already got the good ls6 intake on it which can support over 400hp, so that's great. I'd just do full bolt on's to start while keeping the ls6 intake manifold on it, which will put you around 370rwhp which is over 400 "engine" hp. That right there puts you in the 12's with good traction. If you want more, then do the heads and cam. I would recommend LE on a budget: elliottsportworks.com/ Obviously at some point it WILL need the bottom end rebuilt, so plan for that. But in the meantime if it's in good shape, you can start playing with it now and just plan on rebuilding the bottom in 20-30k or so. And at that point when you go to rebuild, you can upgrade to a 383 stroker...
Old 04-20-2016, 06:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

With that mileage I would rebuild. Id probably stroke the motor or grab a 6.0 bottom end and build a 408.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 3 ls1 f bodies , 2 are modded one is stock , the modded ones are bolt ons only an a4 car with 174,000 miles that ran 12.1 stock internals full weight and an m6 car that went 11.9 also bolt ons only full weight plus stereo system back when it "only" had around 215,000 miles currently about 600 miles shy of 1/4 million.

Many , Many 11 second stock internals f bodies on this board over the years and your current mods should make it a solid 12 second car with reasonable traction and racing weather , long tubes , true duals , good tune would be first things I would do and possibly clutch if it is still stock.

my advice don't open the engine up until it gives you a reason and instead with an m6 car while you have that good chunk set aside do the rear end right , Fab 9" or S60 then you can let it eat at the track if you put the proper suspension pieces in place while swapping rears. If you build a heads cam build with your 4 or 5k then start taking it to the track you will quickly need to do a good rear end on top of that quickly turning your 4 or 5k into 8 or 9k.

My m6 car is on Strano Springs and Koni struts - stance/ride/handling are excellent I love the attitude of the car but do realize a lowered car and frequent drag use aren't optimum ...but for an all around fun car the previous owner of my M6 car had a good plan and it is by far my favorite of my 4 ls1 4th gens I have owned so far
Old 04-21-2016, 02:10 AM
TECH Regular

^^^^ Great info
Old 04-25-2016, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely don't rebuild it if there's nothing wrong with it. I'm very confident it makes minimal difference. Some guys like to waste money though. Best of luck on any mods!
Old 04-25-2016, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Like many folks above mentioned, don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Also, having recently graduated Uni myself, pay off a few student loans if you have them. You'll thank yourself later on. Start with a few minor mods and some bolt-ons. Especially if you're looking for a reasonable DD. Not to say you can't DD a nice H/C/I/E LS1, but it'll hurt you at the pump.

Quick Reply: Opinions on 2001 Camaro SS