General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

SS vs Z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS vs Z28

I'm not going to pretend to know more than I do.. I used to own an automatic 2002 Camaro Z28.. I'm planning on buying another one.. Or at least they body style.. Is it worth the difference in cost to buy the SS instead of the Z28??
Old 05-07-2016, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

depends on what you're doing with the car. do you want the ss hood and spoiler and wheels with wider tires?
The power is the same, SS supposedly has 15-20hp more, because of the exhaust and ram air..but everyone changes the exhaust anyhow and I personally don't believe the SS hood gives any power, you're better off pulling air from under the bumper with a cold air kit.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

There is no real power difference, the rating difference is purely marketing. The factory "ram air" system isn't sealed, and therefore isn't ram air at all. The base SS exhaust system is exactly the same as a Z28 other than a slightly smaller muffler and 0.50" larger tail pipes (this might equal 3hp at best.)

The only reason to buy an SS is for the cosmetics. To get the hood, wheels/tires, spoiler (plus any associated paint work) will cost you about as much as the difference in price between the two (all else being equal).
Old 05-07-2016, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
There is no real power difference, the rating difference is purely marketing. The factory "ram air" system isn't sealed, and therefore isn't ram air at all. The base SS exhaust system is exactly the same as a Z28 other than a slightly smaller muffler and 0.50" larger tail pipes (this might equal 3hp at best.)

The only reason to buy an SS is for the cosmetics. To get the hood, wheels/tires, spoiler (plus any associated paint work) will cost you about as much as the difference in price between the two (all else being equal).
The SS Camaro also have a bigger/ lighter sway bar and other few things I can't remember off the top off my head but definitely almost Identical in performance with a z28.

I would personally get a Ss because of the "look" vs the z28. It also should have better resale value. Even though fbodys in general are getting ridiculous cheaper as of late. That being said I would get the 01-02 ls1 fbody
Old 05-07-2016, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If your Z28 was using stock 16" tires you'll notice a difference in the rougher/stiffer ride of the SS's 17" wheels. About a 10% difference in price between the Z28 and SS or typically about $1,000.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 317 Likes on 224 Posts

I paid $1000 cash for this 2002 z28 a couple months back and I'm now its second owner. its a completely stock unmodified car other the dealer installed SS catback the original owner had put on when he bought it new in late 2001. I bought it on blocks as the wheels had been stolen before could rescue it. coolant had somehow found its way on top of the #6 piston, breaking the connecting rod and windowing the original LS1 block quite spectacularly. it sat under a pine tree at the end of an alley for about two and a half years before I found it and convinced my wife to let me drag it home.

the car is in great shape and i was able to re-use almost everything under the hood (with the exception of my own long block of course) even at 166,xxx miles. I wouldn't have been able to rescue this car if it had been an SS because the hood would have been quickly stolen off of it where it was sitting and the engine bay would have subsequently been destroyed.

I tossed the original 16x8 wheels off my old 97' Z28 on there because Z28's don't need heavy 17x9 wheels and tires to justify their existence. This Z28 also came with the stoutest of drivelines. A 4L60e automatic coupled via a steel driveshaft (unavailable on SS models) to the famously underated 2.73:1 rear axle (also unavailable on the SS models)

I give all my points to Z28 for getting it done without uneeded, flash, scoops and spoilers (sorry SS guys, I couldent resist but this is my third Z28 ;-)
Old 05-07-2016, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

the looks alone made it an easy decision for me.

the fact mine came with SLP options a long with its color made it somewhat unique.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
The SS Camaro also have a bigger/ lighter sway bar and other few things I can't remember off the top off my head but definitely almost Identical in performance with a z28.
Acceleration performance IS identical, assuming same trans/gears, though handling will be better with the SS due to the larger wheels and lower profile tires.

It's only the front sway bar that's different on base SS (32mm vs. 30mm on base V8), rear sway bar is the same. Not enough difference to be noticeable under normal driving conditions - it's the wheel/tire difference that's really an improvement.

Nothing else is different, other than the cosmetics mentioned above and certain items which support those cosmetics (such as a generally useless rubber strip along the edge of the core support near the air lid, and rear bump stop spacers for the 17x9 wheels.)

Some items were mandatory options for SS, such as 3.23 gears for the A4 models and the power steering cooler, though the gears were also optional for Z28 and the power steering cooler became standard for all V8 models in later years. Some claims have been made that early LS1 SS cars received 1LE springs, but I've seen nothing to prove this as fact.

Beyond all things mention above, there are no other mechanical differences between a base SS and a Z28. Many additional options were available on SS from SLP, but that was above and beyond the base WU8 package.

I would personally get a Ss because of the "look" vs the z28. It also should have better resale value.
Looks are subjective (I've always been indifferent about the hood and spoiler, but I do like the early ZR1 wheels), but resale is a non-issue really. You have to pay more to get the SS, and it's worth more when you sell it - either way, you come out the same.

Even though fbodys in general are getting ridiculous cheaper as of late. That being said I would get the 01-02 ls1 fbody
They definitely aren't getting any cheaper around here, unless maybe you're referring to the rough condition examples. The nice ones haven't really dropped much in price in the last few years.

There's no magic to the later model years. I've owned them all, I wouldn't ever hold out for a later model if I could find an earlier one in comparable shape for less money. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Well there is some incorrect info here. So lets clarify some details. SS was offered in LT1s, and they were very low production and hard to come by. Other then that I know nothing. For my year model car 01 I've done extensive research. By the time we reached year model 01 and 02, half of all v8 cars were SSs. So they arent rare at all. By then the option list was extensive. All cars got a base level package of silver wheels, spoiler, and hood (nothing else) for $3k. The rest had to be paid for extra. They had chrome (zr1 and 10 spokes) wheel options, catback (dual/dual), center mount exhaust, blackwing airlid, suspension package (includes bilstien shocks x4, tuned Eibach lowering springs x4, and larger front and rear swaybars - 2mm bigger on both ends), auburn clutch type posi rear differential, floor mats, dash plaque, car cover etc. And no 2.73 auto car was converted to SS, only 3.23 models. The blackwing lid, dual/dual exhaust, center mount tips, hood, suspension stuff, and chrome stock wheels are all still desirable items even all these years later. The SS was the better deal, hands down.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

seeing an lt1 SS was what made me buy mine. it looked bad ***.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

It's not worth buying a ss over a z28 imo....and i gave a ss. The only thing left on my car that is original to the ss is the rear wing and emblems.

If you are gonna leave it stock buy a ss....if not buy a z28.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude last night at the track with a no option hard top B4C Z28 01 or 02 with a LID ONLY no exhaust. went 13.4 at 104 in 2000 DA, my SS with lid, bellow, ported TB, 1 7/8 headers with a true duel no cat exhaust and LS6 intake went 12.9 at 107 same DA.

BUT my car looked a whole bunch better.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
The SS was the better deal, hands down.
I don't see this as being the case, that's why I kept buying Z28s. For those of us who don't really have a preference for the hood/spoiler/badges one way or the other, Z28 is definitely the better performance deal for the price.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't see this as being the case, that's why I kept buying Z28s. For those of us who don't really have a preference for the hood/spoiler/badges one way or the other, Z28 is definitely the better performance deal for the price.
Here's how I see it........ I personally have not seen a premium price on SS vs. z28s. If they are the same price, the question is why NOT go for the SS when there is some better stuff guaranteed and other better stuff a possible bonus? My car was equipped with the Bilstien package and optional chrome wheels. Why settle for decarbons and silver 16s? Perfect example.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Here's how I see it........ I personally have not seen a premium price on SS vs. z28s.
This is our disconnect then, it's honestly been the opposite for me. When I bought my first Z28 new, the SS was ~$3k more to start (as you mentioned) just for the base package that didn't perform any better than a Z28. I didn't really care about the hood or spoiler either way, so it just didn't make sense to pay for the SS (I did like the wheels better, but those alone were much cheaper than the cost of the SS package.)

In the years since, every time I've been shopping for another 4th gen on the used market, the SS cars are *always* more expensive, all else (mileage/condition) being equal. If they were the same price, sure, I agree, it wouldn't matter to me either way, but this has never been the case in my experience. I just hate to pay more for a hood, spoiler and badges that I feel indifferent towards.

At this point though, it's much easier to find a nice SS than a nice Z28 (locally), so I may be forced to pay the SS premium as a consequence of wanting to buy a nicer condition example with which to start. I'm definitely not "anti-SS" or anything like that, I just like the cars equally so I hate paying more for something that I don't like any better.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
Dude last night at the track with a no option hard top B4C Z28 01 or 02 with a LID ONLY no exhaust. went 13.4 at 104 in 2000 DA, my SS with lid, bellow, ported TB, 1 7/8 headers with a true duel no cat exhaust and LS6 intake went 12.9 at 107 same DA.

BUT my car looked a whole bunch better.

looks are whats really important though.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

I bought an SS over a Z28 based on looks. The Z28 looks like its missing something with the boring flat hood and spoiler. And by the time you change out the hood and spoiler and paint, you already spent more than it wouldve been to buy the SS.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

It all comes back to your goals for the car. If you only care about racing and you love to humiliate people with deeper pockets than yours get a Z28 and put your money in a well thought out driveline combination.

If you want to impress the kids at sonic with your big hood scoop get the SS.

In my world, the way a car functions is exponentially more important to me than how it looks. I really liked the 96-97 SS "two out the left" exhaust because it confused idiots and actually improved the accelerative performance of the car. (I've seen stock Lt1 SS cars run low 13's). I also loved the single out exhaust on the 98' SS cars for the same reason, it actually flowed better than the stock Z28 muffler.

I think I'm just at ranting at this point but you guys get the idea. If I had an SS it would have to be a completely original 96-98 model with one of the aforementioned SLP exhaust systems. I'd take it to sonic and spend the whole night trying to explain to ricers how its possible for a V8 car to have exhaust that only comes out on one side.

Thats not the world I live in though. I drag race on a shoestring budget. I weigh every dime I throw at my car because if it doesn't make it faster it's not really worth my time and effort.

I like my Z28's because up front they have belt buckle scratches and greasy hand prints on their fenders. Out back they've got tire rubber all over their wheel wells and soot stains on the bumper above the tailpipes from running rich.

I know that there are plenty of SS cars out there that get beat on and raced like mine do. I just never needed any of the extra stuff that they came with...

Maybe I'll try something different and autocross my 2.73 car. Anybody got a nice set of chrome ZR1's?
Old 05-09-2016, 05:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

the only sonic here isnt a big hangout spot so i just tell anyone that asks my hood adds 30-40 HP depending on what the temp. is that day.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've owned three of the available different driveline combinations for these cars now. LT1 M6 3.42 no ASR, LS1 A4 3.23 no ASR, and now an LR4 A4 2.73 with ASR. I started each car stock (or nearly, the M6 car had a flowmaster crossflow welded in when I got ahold of it and my latest is currently taking a horsepower penalty with the 4.8L swap) I can tell you that each car drives, and can be driven differently in my opinion. That's way more important than the badging and bodywork in my book. Its hard enough having a logical conversation about the simple powertrain options available stock, let alone if the car your looking at buying has been modded in any significant way. I wouldn't consider suspension options a deal breaker either on these cars given how old they are now getting. even an extremely low mile example that's been in good storage will probably spring a leak somewhere after its been sitting for 14 years.

If we somehow found ourselves in another dimension talking about Firebirds instead of Camaros It would have to be a 2000 Formula WS6 M6 for me, and if I couldn't find that one, I would take any other 98-02 Firebird even a Trans Am, but only if it was an M6 trans car. I'd Preferably a hardtop one even if it had roll up windows and a cassette player, as long as it was a close to stock M6 Formula or even a T/A with that ridiculous wing on the back and the useless ground effects I would take it. I could always get a little base firebird spoiler for it and sell the ground effects off of it to some kid at sonic later.

See where I am going with this? or do we have to talk about mustangs?

OP. consider your goals for the car, the overall condition you want the car to be in when you get it home and what trans you want to live with every day first. Those factors are what's most important when you shop for one of these cars nowadays. Don't lose your mind over the "trim" like we do.

Quick Reply: SS vs Z28