General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Simple Trans Am questions (LS1)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Trans Am questions (LS1)

Does the 98-02 Trans Am's cruise control physically move the pedal?

Also, how does the pedal feel generally? My sister's town & country is DBC, and I hate it. Compared to my DBW SUV and my old DBW Firebird (L36), the pedal is high tension. Is the TA like that?

(Just noticed my signature - I don't have that firebird anymore, unfortunately.)
Old 11-28-2016, 09:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Rare for a person to feel the way you do, more people tend to dislike the DBW setups (myself included.) DBC is generally far superior in terms of throttle response, especially if the DBW setup hasn't been custom tuned - and even then I would still prefer DBC.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Rare for a person to feel the way you do, more people tend to dislike the DBW setups (myself included.) DBC is generally far superior in terms of throttle response, especially if the DBW setup hasn't been custom tuned - and even then I would still prefer DBC.
I realize.. but, regarding tension and having the pedal move with CC?

Also, I had a sunfire that was DBC and its pedal wasn't as miserably stiff as that minivan I drove. I was fine with that pedal, though it didn't have CC at all.

Last edited by icor1031; 11-29-2016 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by icor1031
Does the 98-02 Trans Am's cruise control physically move the pedal?
Yes.
Also, how does the pedal feel generally? My sister's town & country is DBC, and I hate it. Compared to my DBW SUV and my old DBW Firebird (L36), the pedal is high tension. Is the TA like that?
I would call it high tension, its pretty stiff, but in a very good way, makes for great throttle response.
From what Ive read though there are apparently different throttle body springs out there for fbodies so supposedly not all of them feel the same, i remember reading a guy saying his was ridiculously stiff and another guy saying his was really soft.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Yes.

I would call it high tension, its pretty stiff, but in a very good way, makes for great throttle response.
From what Ive read though there are apparently different throttle body springs out there for fbodies so supposedly not all of them feel the same, i remember reading a guy saying his was ridiculously stiff and another guy saying his was really soft.
The 98 has a different spring in its TB than the other years. Placing a 98 on a 99 and up and vice versa results in adjustments needed otherwise the blade will not full open/close. The 98 is supposed to draw to WOT faster however in all my f bodies I never noticed if this was true and doubt anyone could ever tell honestly.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
The 98 has a different spring in its TB than the other years. Placing a 98 on a 99 and up and vice versa results in adjustments needed otherwise the blade will not full open/close. The 98 is supposed to draw to WOT faster however in all my f bodies I never noticed if this was true and doubt anyone could ever tell honestly.
The cam on the TB is different for the '98-99 (perhaps '00 as well? I can't recall), so it does spin to WOT faster (or, more accurately, with less pedal travel.) And yes, this is in fact noticeable - or at least it was to me when I would often drive my '98 and '02 back to back. Without back to back driving it probably wouldn't stand out to most people though.

Quick Reply: Simple Trans Am questions (LS1)