General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Broken Camaro Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Camaro Need advice

New to the forum and need some advice. I have a 98 Camaro ss and recently bought a cam for it. So before the cam install I full throttled it before it would be down for the weekend. The next day I pulled out of my driveway and had no power at 4-5k rpm and a sort of knocking that got louder as the rpm got higher. I tried it the next day hoping it was a hickup, no luck. Took the engine out, tore it down to find the rod bearing sides coming apart leaving metal throughout the engine . The main bearings are pitted as well so I'm replacing everything, top and bottom. Cylinders are good. My question is does anyone think the block is reusable. When it broke I only drove maybe 1/2mile when the knock & no power happened.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Well you didn't say it threw a rod and you didn't say it broke a rod so as long as the cylinders are still in good shape then yes you can salvage the block. I would suggest having someone experienced do the rebuild or at least have the block and crank/rods inspected before you waste time and money on a rebuild. It's not something a novice should be doing.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my own opinion but I trust factory assemblies more than most remans/rebuilds. At least look at the cost of grabbing a lower miles pullout ls1/5.3/6.0 etc and installing your cam in it. Make sure to factor in what you can get parting out your current engine , the short block will even still be valuable to someone actually looking to do a "build" if you were turning lemons into lemonade and doing aftermarket crank/rods/pistons etc... that would be different then your taking the risk of an issue related to machining or assembly either way.

In my scenario if you were to find an ls1 pullout then the accessories off your engine would be very desirable to all the people swapping truck engines into other platforms , if the pullout came with harness ditto it has value to swappers. If you could find an 01/02 pullout then you would also be getting an LS6 intake to go with your cam.... just my thoughts but I always try to come out of pocket less even if there is effort involved and again trust gm assemblies.

Also If by chance this is an automatic car make sure you get a nice 3500-4000 stall in there while its apart. Cammed LS1's without convertors tend to end up slower than stock internals cars you need the extra flash to get into the raised powerband of the cam. Do a search "turd stick" and you will see threads/posts with cam no convertor come up lol.

Throw a fresh oil pump in no matter what you do and good luck !

Last edited by murphinator; 02-08-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Teching In

It didn't throw or bend any push rods nor did it bend a crank rod. The car has a stage 3 TDP t56. With the cam kit I also got new pushrods,oil pump,springs,cam gear, ordering lifters, trunion upgrade, head bolts, engine mounts, and new rod and main bearings, and cam bearings. I have a ls6 intake and looking for virgin 243 heads also. I'm not planning on trying to fix the crank instead buy a new stock replacement for 400 at Texas speed. Also I'm a ase master ford technician.
The block has 140,000 miles on it
Old 02-08-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

just a thought have you checked into a 382 stroker crank with some texas speed or comparable stage 2.5 ls6 heads?
Old 02-08-2017, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CamaroSLPSS
Also I'm a ase master ford technician.
The block has 140,000 miles on it
Considering the post topic I assumed you had limited knowledge.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like the bearings took all of the damage. If the metal is fine then clean it up and slap it back together.

Just remember those alum blocks can only be honed 0.010
You get 1 shot.... no pressure lol

Quick Reply: Broken Camaro Need advice