General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Shop forgot dipstick, Low oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop forgot dipstick, Low oil pressure?

Hey guys. I recently had a shop swap a 6L into my truck. It goes to get tuned next week. I drove it a short distance today and I noticed that a few times I had white smoke from the hood. I parked the truck. Next morning I seen there was a small puddle of oil under it. I went to check the oil and realized that the shop never reinstalled the dipstick. I also noticed that the motor was running a low PSI on the electric oil pressure guage I just installed. Like 10 to 20 psi. Is it possible that the low oil pressure is directly related to the dipstick being MIA? When I say its missing I dont mean the stick its self but the stick and houseing where it connects to the block near the pan.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:56 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

No, the dipstick tube won't affect the oil pressure unless almost all of the oil came out as a result.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The carelessness it would take (on the shop's part) for this to happen is mind-blowing. I can't imagine the dipstick and tube both just fell out all on its own. If the shop really did not notice there was no dipstick and tube, then I can only think they didn't bother putting new fresh oil in the motor, nor check the oil level, obviously. There's no telling how much oil is actually in there.

Last edited by R6cowboy; 02-21-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I call that "Rectal-cranial inversion" on the shops part, that is inexcusable as far as I'm concerned. take pictures of it so they can't refute their F***up. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Shop forgot dipstick, Low oil pressure?