General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Backfire through intake when key is turned to on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfire through intake when key is turned to on?

E38 engine management LS2 E38 engine Mgmt Harness
4L6XE LS2 4L60E/4L65E Trans
Pedal (Not needed but on original invoice)

When idling, the vehicle runs extremely rich. After shut down and several hours later, when the key it turned to the 'on' position, not 'crank' a very bid backfire occurs through the intake. To the point of blowing vacuum lines and fittings apart. Obviously, the fuel for this backfire is left over from the super rich mixture, but why the spark when key is turned to the on position?
Old 09-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dickersb7
E38 engine management LS2 E38 engine Mgmt Harness
4L6XE LS2 4L60E/4L65E Trans
Pedal (Not needed but on original invoice)

When idling, the vehicle runs extremely rich. After shut down and several hours later, when the key it turned to the 'on' position, not 'crank' a very bid backfire occurs through the intake. To the point of blowing vacuum lines and fittings apart. Obviously, the fuel for this backfire is left over from the super rich mixture, but why the spark when key is turned to the on position?
My car does the exact same thing, it's a ls swapped S10 blazer, i put new coils on it, and new 8.1 injectors, and it does the same thing, I am at a loss about why it's doing it :/
Old 03-21-2023, 12:08 PM

Default Anyone find a reason for this?

Originally Posted by Jacob Phillips
My car does the exact same thing, it's a ls swapped S10 blazer, i put new coils on it, and new 8.1 injectors, and it does the same thing, I am at a loss about why it's doing it :/
I have same thing happening on my silverado. 416 stroker, stock harness and pcm.
Old 11-09-2023, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was reading through older posts today and came across this discussion. Before I comment I would like to confirm a few things.

All people experiencing this happen have an actual ignition key that rotates to engage the starter. In other words, no push button start.

The backfire occurs when the key is rotated, before the starter engages - no crankshaft rotation.

I was quite surprised to read this because I worked on resolving an issue like this 33 years ago while working for GM.
I assumed it would have been corrected from that point on.

Quick Reply: Backfire through intake when key is turned to on?