General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Bleeding Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Bleeding Radiator

I've searched searched searched, still having some major problems and I'm just getting way to aggravated. Any advice is appreciated. First off it's a 2000 camaro, turbo build. (sbe lq4, huron speed turbo kit) I went with the griffin dual pass radiator, i've been trying to bleed the rad for hours. I keep getting the same out come, I'll give you a full run down, I filled the rad with water the car heats up, the hoses didn't fill with fluid and the rad starts boiling. Turn car off took off t stat (stock temp) and boiled it opens with no issues. I've also tried the breather trick on top of block next to throttle body, again same outcome and nothing. Next I took off top hose and filled with water and once again same exact out come. Do you think this can be due to having just water instead of anti freeze? I never had this issue but it just keeps boiling and coming out of the radiator. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated!
Old 07-02-2017, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I hate to say it. But we had the same problem and it was the head gaskets. We have the dual pass griffin, and a LQ4 as well. If you pull the steam line off going to the radiator you will be able to see if it has water coming out. This will get rid of any air too. But I doubt that's it. We run water with a couple bottles of purple ice. Never any antifreeze. Did you torque the heads or did someone put it together for you? Also are they studs or stock style bolts? If they are studs or non stretch bolts, try retorqueing them first cold. Start with the first bolt in the torque sequence and loosen all the way. (loosen and retorque only one at a time) Should take care of it. The only other thing is they may have not gotten the deck surfaces smooth enough. Hopefully this is not the case. We were not that lucky. Ours looked like little bubbles coming into the overflow tank only when the motor hit operating temp. Motor never got hot but would just start pushing water till the tank started overflowing. Motor was not hot at all. Still sitting at 180. Best of luck!!!

Last edited by TTur1996; 07-02-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I will have to take a look. The engine has already had coolant ran through block previously so I am hoping this is not the issue. It has head studs I am thinking about running an open t stat or just dumping water through it and hoping it'll clear out. My car will start to over heat right away and even when I pulled the t stat there was no water on engine side.

Quick Reply: Bleeding Radiator