General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Chevrolet Please Update the LQ9 block

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevrolet Please Update the LQ9 block

We have patiently waited forever for an affordable updated LQ9 engine block. Chevrolet, could we please have a new block with 1/4" longer bore sleeves so a 4" stroke pistons can stay in the bores and Siamesed cylinders like the old 400 block that could be bored to 4.155 and still have a .245" wall. It might be a little heavy but not a deal breaker. These blocks are currently $1010 at SDPC. So how about $1250 for the new improved block! Talk about selling LS7 heads by the truck load! Anyone interested ?
Old 11-13-2017, 06:28 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

They did, its the LSX block.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't get it young man. Chevrolet built it's Performance image on Hi Po Parts from the dealer that "anyone" could afford. The LSX block can't even be machined in a common engine shop. It takes a $1000+ in machining and special tooling $$ and hones just to get it build ready. It's a $4000 deal. I want a production block like the old 400 block for the LS. That's a homerun. Instead we have sleeved $4000 blocks that only hard core racers can afford. Even the Dart block is not ready to assemble. That deal needs big $$ too. Someone will do it guaranteed, I just wish GM would be the one. I remember my first Mk5 502 block, I paid $900. So, they can do it, if they can find the production capacity. It opens up a huge market that's affordable! I need dealers to request this item. That's what will make it happen. I retired from GM powertrain I know the drill.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The need just isn't there anymore for something like this.
The main reason people would want a siamese bore block with longer sleeves is for maximum displacement. With the amount of power that can be had N/A on stock displacement, the need to upgrade to a radical overbore with a 4" or longer stroke is going to cost a considerable amount in heads, cam, intake, etc to even warrant the upgrade, not to mention machine work. At that point, you either afford an LSX block or you don't bother.

Forced induction has made it to the point where people are making 1500 HP with stock bore/stroke on even the aluminum blocks. The necessity to cast another block to cater to people wanting to spend a considerable amount of money to make N/A power but can't afford the extra $2,000 for the block doesn't make much sense.

The production capacity just won't be there to cast a block for purposes that have already been far surpassed on what we have now.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Please Update the LQ9 block