General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Race Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Fuel

Does anyone know if you can buy drums or 5 gallon cans of race fuel direct and ship to a private residence? Need DOT license or other?

VP, Sunoco, etc
Old 01-17-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 195 Likes on 156 Posts

My local bulk fuel distributor carries 100 octane low lead aviation fuel (AVGAS) . . . for around seven bucks a gallon. Beautiful blue color and smells absolutely fabulous even in a tiny, tiny whiff but man, is this stuff toxic. It has more tetraethyl lead in it than best Sunoco 260 automotive fuel that money could buy in 1970. Seriously. Nasty. Stuff. And the guy would sell me all that I could carry in five gallon plastic cans. Might even deliver in fifty gallon drums but I have never asked the question. I used it on my early 70's Honda minibikes before I found a source for regular no ethanol fuel here somewhere else. There is no ethanol in AVGAS and as you are probably aware, ethanol is very tough on carburetor seals.

However, be advised that not one cent of road / highway taxes has been paid on this beautiful blue dead dinosaur juice. If the DOT catches you running this blue juice on the highway, you will very soon need a good attorney or a fat checkbook. Maybe both.

Rick
Old 01-17-2018, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
My local bulk fuel distributor carries 100 octane low lead aviation fuel (AVGAS) . . . for around seven bucks a gallon. Beautiful blue color and smells absolutely fabulous even in a tiny, tiny whiff but man, is this stuff toxic. It has more tetraethyl lead in it than best Sunoco 260 automotive fuel that money could buy in 1970. Seriously. Nasty. Stuff. And the guy would sell me all that I could carry in five gallon plastic cans. Might even deliver in fifty gallon drums but I have never asked the question. I used it on my early 70's Honda minibikes before I found a source for regular no ethanol fuel here somewhere else. There is no ethanol in AVGAS and as you are probably aware, ethanol is very tough on carburetor seals.

However, be advised that not one cent of road / highway taxes has been paid on this beautiful blue dead dinosaur juice. If the DOT catches you running this blue juice on the highway, you will very soon need a good attorney or a fat checkbook. Maybe both.

Rick
Well it's been well reported today that my local track (Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ, is closing forever. This was was source for race fuel among other things. So, I need to find a new means of getting the precious juice.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I got mine from an individual who was a rep for VP. He usually kept drums of it at his shop and i would swing by and pick some up when i needed it. Might be able to get better help with some local FB groups.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't know if the sort of sport is popular in NJ or if there are even areas to do it, but check out whoever in your area sells or services off road vehicles, motor bikes and quads. My son used to have a racing type quad for use in the sand dunes here and that is where he got his fuel in 5 gallon cans.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

...and as you are probably aware, ethanol is very tough on carburetor seals.
I've heard this mentioned by some, but I haven't seen it myself. My current Holley is from 2008 and it's seen nothing but E10 fuel for the last 10 years - not a single issue with seals/gaskets (and I know several others who've had the same experience). I think this must apply to older carbs that haven't been rebuilt with modern materials.

State DOT isn't going to have any idea what's in your tank, or from where it came. Unless you start selling to others, and somebody reports it.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Rick
Complete knee jerk reaction.

"Unleaded racing fuel, which has an octane rating of 100 or higher and does not meet the California Air Resources Board specifications for gasoline, generally is not subject to the motor vehicle fuel tax and would not qualify for the partial sales tax exemption. However, when unleaded racing fuel is sold for use on the highway, it is subject to the motor vehicle fuel tax and would qualify for the sales tax partial exemption."

How do you know if they pay the tax beforehand or not?

Fuel tax exemptions in my state.

Louisiana
Fuel for export
Bulk gasoline sales to US government
Gasoline sold to US armed forces for propelling ships or for aviation purposes
Aviation fuel used for propelling aircraft
Dyed diesel is exempt if used for off-road purposes
Gasoline or undyed diesel fuel exported to another state, as long as tax of the destination state remitted to supplier
Gasoline or undyed diesel fuel exported to a foreign country
Old 01-18-2018, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm interested in the legality part. I never would have thought using race gas on the streets is illegal?
Old 01-18-2018, 05:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Many things are illegal for street use, including removal or any alteration of emissions equipment configuration, certain aftermarket lenses/lighting solutions and/or modification of such, and insufficient tire tread depth just to name a few. Whether or not any of this actually matters depends entirely on enforcement practices in your region and whether or not the offense can be reasonably detected.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

An answer, is just an email away.

Hello when we invoice our dealers taxes are broken down on the invoice. All states are different. Thanks

Brad Horton

Regional Sales Manager

VP Racing Fuels, Inc.

P. O. Box 47878

San Antonio, Texas 78265
Cell: (210) 241-1192
Phone: (210) 635-7744

Fax: (210) 635-7999

Quick Reply: Race Fuel