General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Trailblazer SS vs G8 GT for daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Trailblazer SS vs G8 GT for daily driver?

I am in the market for a V8 rear wheel drive 4 door vehicle for my daily driver for under 20k. I originally wanted a trailblazer ss, I liked the idea of an SUV. for a family of 4 (2 of them in baby seats) it seemed a little more fitting. But the more I research them the more problems I see they have. So, I test drove a G8 GT today and really liked it. I see they have their own problems but it appears to be much more reliable than the tbss. Any body that has owned either of these as a daily driver, please share your thoughts and experiences. As of now i am leaning more toward a G8 but am still trying to learn about them. Thoughts?
Old 01-27-2018, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 08 G8 GT as a daily for multiple years and loved it, even when it wasn't practical to drive as a daily I still drove it as much as I could. The G8 being an "import" had some unique gremlins and the moreI nodded the more annoying they became.
I'd love to have both myself but the question comes down to utility.

look at the TBSS and ask yourself these 2 questions.
do you need a vehicle capable of towing and hauling?
do you need a vehicle capable of driving daily in snow?

If you answer yes then I'd lean toward s AWD TBSS, if you say no then get a G8!
Old 01-27-2018, 10:56 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

We've owned our G8 since new and haven't had any problems with it at 53k. The design and quality of the interior pieces leaves a lot to be desired, but even there we haven't had any major issues.

The major G8 issue is AFM/DOD lifter failure. Noisy lifters on startup are a warning signal. Replacing with a non-DOD valvetrain is a great fix, but expensive if you can't do it yourself.

The main problem with TBSS is destroying transmissions. The factory 4L60e does not survive for long behind the LS2 with all that weight. A built trans from a sponsor will be fine, but $$$.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a 2WD TBSS will be the most reliable over an AWD model or a G8, IMO...

As mentioned, biggest weak point is transmission. Factory 4L70E doesn't hold up well for how heavy they are. Options are build trans, or 4L80E swap. If left mostly stock and taken care of, I'm sure the trans would last a while.

AWD guys have their own issues. Trans gets taxed even more, then I think they have front axle problems with hard launches and high HP. Most of what I've seen happen over 500hp. If it's just a daily with bolt-ons, you'll be fine with a AWD model.

The rest of the TBSS is pretty stout. LS2 is a good motor. Rearend is a solid 14 bolt with factory 4.10 gears. The vehicle itself is pretty easy to repair, as majority of parts interchange with base model trailblazers, which are dime a dozen. Motor is an LS2 so sky is the limit there. TBSS intake is about the best factory LS motor intake you can get.

btw... I've got 224k miles on my '07, love it!
Old 01-29-2018, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TBSS is a nice suv (especially in white) but I've also had 3 G8's and 2 SS's (G8 replacement). I would go with the G8 every day unless you have the need for an SUV. The G8 has tons of room and plenty of aftermarket support if you are looking to modify. I would suggest that if you can swing the extra $10kish, to just pick up a 2014 Chevy SS. It's the same platform as the G8 (Holden Commodore) but the interior blows the G8 interior away and its an LS3
Old 01-29-2018, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hibs
a 2WD TBSS will be the most reliable over an AWD model or a G8, IMO...

As mentioned, biggest weak point is transmission. Factory 4L70E doesn't hold up well for how heavy they are. Options are build trans, or 4L80E swap. If left mostly stock and taken care of, I'm sure the trans would last a while.

AWD guys have their own issues. Trans gets taxed even more, then I think they have front axle problems with hard launches and high HP. Most of what I've seen happen over 500hp. If it's just a daily with bolt-ons, you'll be fine with a AWD model.

The rest of the TBSS is pretty stout. LS2 is a good motor. Rearend is a solid 14 bolt with factory 4.10 gears. The vehicle itself is pretty easy to repair, as majority of parts interchange with base model trailblazers, which are dime a dozen. Motor is an LS2 so sky is the limit there. TBSS intake is about the best factory LS motor intake you can get.

btw... I've got 224k miles on my '07, love it!
I can't remember if it was all TBSSs or just the AWD version, but I know for a fact that the AWD versions had a bad oil pan design and even worse pickup tube design that could result in oil starvation if you were one who likes to accelerate very hard quite frequently. The solution was a modified pickup tube (vendors have them) and/or to run an extra 0.5-1 quart of oil in them.

I love the concept of the TBSS (I owned the Saab version, the 9-7X Aero), but it is pretty obvious that they are a parts bin special. I do completely agree that in 2WD trim, they are damn reliable with everything but the transmission being bullet proof.

Quick Reply: Trailblazer SS vs G8 GT for daily driver?