General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Light(ish) Battery Idea: D51 Optima, 26lbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light(ish) Battery Idea: D51 Optima, 26lbs

Hello,

My current battery for my daily summer driven GTO died and I was looking into lighter battery options. It seems like consensus is that unless you are going to put the car on a charger every night and use the car within the limitations of the battery, the very light batteries like the PC680 or small lithium options are not really daily driver friendly.

So I noticed this: Optima Yellowtop D51/D51R 26 lb battery
-Has SAE posts already
-450cca, 38 Amp Hour, 3 year warranty and can return/exhange in store near me

Seems like a possible option for something in between a race battery and a full weight OEM replacement without most of the negatives of a race battery. Besides having to make a bracket to mount it, can you guys see any potential downsides other than not quite the CCA/Amp Hour rating of a full size? Would this be enough for worry-free DD'in at above freezing temps? Thanks!

P.S. I know not everyone loves Optima as a brand, I myself went through a few redtops and was not too impressed. Planning on locking up the receipt where it can be lost this time, haha.

-Cole
Old 02-28-2018, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I run a mini XS power battery. Its fine for starting. Dont run anything with the motor off, and realize you cant sit there and crank on the car forever without killing the battery. If you use it appropriately you'll never know its there.