General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Quick question on calculating compression ratios

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question on calculating compression ratios

Hello all,

I've been researching doing complete custom build from a bare block and I'm wondering about calculating piston deck clearance.

The source says to take divide the stroke in half and add it to the rod length and subtract that from the deck height. So, let's say I'm using a LQ9 block with a deck height of 9.240 inches, rod length of 6.125 inches with a stroke of 4.000 inches, that leaves me with a compression height of 1.115 inches. Based on a deck clearance calculator, that gives me 0 clearance. Is that correct? And is a 0 clearance bad?

If using LS3 heads with a cylinder head volume of 68 cc, bore of 4.000 inches, flat top pistons with a dome volume of -3 cc and compressed head gasket thickness of 0.054 inches, that comes out to an 11:1 CR.

My main question is, should I have some deck clearance? I usually see people say the have some x/1000 of an inch clearance which is why I'm asking.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:36 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by codymj
Hello all,

I've been researching doing complete custom build from a bare block and I'm wondering about calculating piston deck clearance.

The source says to take divide the stroke in half and add it to the rod length and subtract that from the deck height. So, let's say I'm using a LQ9 block with a deck height of 9.240 inches, rod length of 6.125 inches with a stroke of 4.000 inches, that leaves me with a compression height of 1.115 inches. Based on a deck clearance calculator, that gives me 0 clearance. Is that correct? And is a 0 clearance bad?

If using LS3 heads with a cylinder head volume of 68 cc, bore of 4.000 inches, flat top pistons with a dome volume of -3 cc and compressed head gasket thickness of 0.054 inches, that comes out to an 11:1 CR.

My main question is, should I have some deck clearance? I usually see people say the have some x/1000 of an inch clearance which is why I'm asking.

Thanks.
The stock LS engines all have the piston protrude above the deck by about .006", so you can say it has "negative deck clearance." What you want is to make sure you have adequate clearance between the piston and cylinder head, aka "quench". This is calculated by adding the head gasket thickness to the deck clearance. So at zero deck and a .054' gasket, you have .054" quench. If the piston is .010" below the deck (positive deck clearance), you have .064" quench. If the piston is .010" out of the hole (negative deck clearance), then you have .044" quench.

The general rule of thumb is that .040" quench is safe and gets you 90% of the benefits, however, you can go a little tighter or a little looser depending on the application.

When you shop for your rotating assembly, you should be able to find the compression height of the piston and calculate the deck clearance from there. For example, a lot of Wiseco pistons have a 1.110" compression height for their 4" stroke combos, which put the piston .005" in the hole with a 9.240" deck height. However, the LQ blocks usually have a 9.230" deck height, so you would really see the piston .005" above the deck. If your machinist surfaces the deck of the block to get it straight and square, you might end up with the piston .010" out of the hole. With the .054" gasket, you would be sitting pretty with .044" quench.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
The stock LS engines all have the piston protrude above the deck by about .006", so you can say it has "negative deck clearance." What you want is to make sure you have adequate clearance between the piston and cylinder head, aka "quench". This is calculated by adding the head gasket thickness to the deck clearance. So at zero deck and a .054' gasket, you have .054" quench. If the piston is .010" below the deck (positive deck clearance), you have .064" quench. If the piston is .010" out of the hole (negative deck clearance), then you have .044" quench.

The general rule of thumb is that .040" quench is safe and gets you 90% of the benefits, however, you can go a little tighter or a little looser depending on the application.

When you shop for your rotating assembly, you should be able to find the compression height of the piston and calculate the deck clearance from there. For example, a lot of Wiseco pistons have a 1.110" compression height for their 4" stroke combos, which put the piston .005" in the hole with a 9.240" deck height. However, the LQ blocks usually have a 9.230" deck height, so you would really see the piston .005" above the deck. If your machinist surfaces the deck of the block to get it straight and square, you might end up with the piston .010" out of the hole. With the .054" gasket, you would be sitting pretty with .044" quench.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I was wondering what quench was so I guess that was the missing link. It all makes sense now.