General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Catalytic Convert. needing replacement 2002 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Convert. needing replacement 2002 Z28

So just picked up a 2002 z28 from GA to replace the one i had stolen. Both were single owner, low mileage. The issue is this one I just got was sitting for some years in a garage. Drove it from ATL to Chicago no issues, but it had a rough starting issue since I initially bought it. Get back home run the scanner to see what pops up because finally got a check engine light about 1 hour out of chicago. p0420 ok..either o2 sensor or cats. Take to the dealership its the cats. They tell me 1200 per side...I laugh...laugh some more and say no thanks. Check online find two for about 800 a piece. Now I find there is an extended warranty for 120k miles/10 years whichever comes first but it expired in 2012. ****. Ok. My thinking is this...if they are so prone to being bad why would I bad OEM if the problem could happen again? SO now my thinking is go magnaflow or flowmaster and just upgrade the whole exhaust system. So if i go this route could this be a bad idea? I can get the OEM grade cats for about 600 total for both sides and a catback exhaust system for 500 then add in labor and im still under the price for the oem ones. IF this sounds good what are thoughts on Flowmaster cats because that's the catback exhaust I want and I figure matching everything with the same brand should make everything fit and flow better. Just want some input
Old 07-12-2018, 02:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I wouldn't buy new cats, I'd probably just delete them if they are actually clogged or just leave them if the only issue is a P0420/P0430 code (which doesn't actually indicate a clog at all) and tune them out. Emissions tests in the Chicago area are OBD scan only, no sniff/no visual, so you can pass with proper tuning even if the cats are gone or not functional.

Just an FYI - what usually happens to the factory 2000-'02 cats (these are the ones that had the warranty extension for 10 years/120k miles) is that the coatings wear off the substrate, which diminishes or eliminates the ability of the converter to reduce tail pipe emissions. This common mode of failure results in a P0420/P0430 code with no other driveability issues. If you are having other issues such as overheating, engine having a hard time (or is unable) to reach high rpms, lack of power, etc., then you could be dealing with a clog as well, but the code by itself doesn't necessarily mean that there is any blockage.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I wouldn't buy new cats, I'd probably just delete them if they are actually clogged or just leave them if the only issue is a P0420/P0430 code (which doesn't actually indicate a clog at all) and tune them out. Emissions tests in the Chicago area are OBD scan only, no sniff/no visual, so you can pass with proper tuning even if the cats are gone or not functional.

Just an FYI - what usually happens to the factory 2000-'02 cats (these are the ones that had the warranty extension for 10 years/120k miles) is that the coatings wear off the substrate, which diminishes or eliminates the ability of the converter to reduce tail pipe emissions. This common mode of failure results in a P0420/P0430 code with no other driveability issues. If you are having other issues such as overheating, engine having a hard time (or is unable) to reach high rpms, lack of power, etc., then you could be dealing with a clog as well, but the code by itself doesn't necessarily mean that there is any blockage.
Interesting! I should have gone that route. My issue was I figured that with chicago I had to have them and couldn't because it would pop a code. I actually jumped the gun and just bought the full flowmaster set up with cats and the cat back exhuast kit. At the very least I over paid and will hopefully reap the benefits on better gas mileage. Also thanks for the info on WHY the cats were so troublesome. Yea the car drove excellent so far it was just that starting issue..take 1 or at most two tries to start up but when it was running it ran great, idled smooth as butter.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 166 Likes on 150 Posts

I replaced the converter on my 1998 with a magnaflow from advanced auto. They have pretty good prices and online discounts.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Convert. needing replacement 2002 Z28