General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Needing some info and if you guys think my budget will cover what I’m wanting to do.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing some info and if you guys think my budget will cover what I’m wanting to do.

I have a mint 2004 CCLB 4x4 GMC with a 6” lift and 35’s . This will be just a weekend vehicle since I love the truck and will never sell it. Currently I was building the Duramax in it but I’m done with the diesel thing and want to swap a LS into it. I plan to sell the built long block and full billet Allison to fund the deal. I’ll have around $17k to throw at it and if needed I’d add 3k more if needed .

17-20k Budget to cover everything turn key running with everything necessary. Enough ??

Truck prob weighs 7500-8500lbs . I want to be able to run pump gas and would like 800-1000hp at the tires.

My my question is should I run a full built 4l80e or the newer 6spd like in the 2009 model 2500hd? I want something tough that if I needed to pull a 10k trailer I will take it. I see from a quick search a full built billet 4l80e can be had around 6k. Which one would you do and does anyone ever build the other that will hold up?

Motor wise I want it on pump gas and either supercharged or twin turbos. I’m sure I’ll have to go turbo for power I want on pump gas???? Also can such a setup be tuned with right turbo setup to not have much turbo lag for street habits ?

i plan on calling Texas Speed Monday since I hear good stuff about them and they are within 2hr drive from me. Anyone have any other good recommendation for someone in Texas than could build the motor I need or turbo setup please chime in a let me know who they are.

Last edited by Kubitza123; 10-28-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

In such a big rig with big tires and towing planned I'd stay diesel. If you really have to go gas worry more about building for torque then hp. I'd go ls454 or at the very least 427. You can go big turbo and hit 800 hp but it's not going to be very happy in your setup. Torque moves weight and you have alot of it.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I know the TQ will be less but tired of $3000+ injectors etc. I’m definitely thinking LSX454 or stroker to help with TQ.

I wasn’t thinking once I remove the diesel and Allison my weight will prob be around 6500-7k so not as heavy but still heavy .
Old 10-30-2018, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

I know what direction I'd go in but I don't feel like getting trashed. Let's just say I'd stick with a diesel but one that has exactly 12 valves and uses a very simple mechanical p-pump 😉

If you're dead set on gm gas then hit up some of the vendors websites and see what the biggest displacement they offer is. Just remember that under full load your mpg is going to get cut in half from what it is now.