General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Shell gas and knock retard

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Shell gas and knock retard

Anyone else getting increased kr with shell gas? I have an 07 Yukon Denali and I'm seeing up to 11 degrees of knock retard at times but only for a second. This is in fifty degree weather with an vararam tripower intake. Haven't tuned for Intake yet .Is there any other fuel that won't cause so much knock retard? Im using 93 octane also Pennzoil natural gas oil. I need to figure this out before bad happens.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Octane is octane... regardless of brand. If Shell 93 octane is causing knock then it will be the same with any other brand unless you suspect the particular station you use may have bad gas. You could try buying gas from another Shell station to see if the problem persists.

A little knocking under load is not generally detrimental to the engine but persistent knock definitely can be. You could have bad sensors or deposits in the cylinders. You could try adding an octane booster to your gas or finding a Sunoco station that has 94 octane to see if higher octane reduces the knock.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Octane is octane... regardless of brand. If Shell 93 octane is causing knock then it will be the same with any other brand unless you suspect the particular station you use may have bad gas. You could try buying gas from another Shell station to see if the problem persists.

A little knocking under load is not generally detrimental to the engine but persistent knock definitely can be. You could have bad sensors or deposits in the cylinders. You could try adding an octane booster to your gas or finding a Sunoco station that has 94 octane to see if higher octane reduces the knock.
What do i use to clean the deposits? I dont really want to use seafoam. Had bad experience with that on an old nissan 240 and have read of other people toasting their engines with it. After this tank goes I'll try Chevron and report back
Old 12-04-2018, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Detergents an additives are the only differences in gas stations. They come from the same distributor. The gas station could have a bad tank that lets in a lot of water or crap.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by warriorpluto
What do i use to clean the deposits? I dont really want to use seafoam. Had bad experience with that on an old nissan 240 and have read of other people toasting their engines with it. After this tank goes I'll try Chevron and report back
You really shouldn't have any deposits if you've been using Shell (or another Top Tier fuel) exclusively. Personally, I've used Seafoam for years in my bikes and small engines (generator, etc.) and have always been pleased with the results but if you don't like Seafoam then Techron is a good alternative.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner

This product is unreal but expensive at over $20 the last time I bought it. My local Chevy dealer threw it in my Trans Am once, and when I had an old air-cooled 911, my Porsche mechanic even recommended it. It's good stuff but don't get any on your paint!!
Old 12-08-2018, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I'd recommend Red Line SI-1. Excellent product for fuel system cleaning, full dose for initial clean up (full bottle), and can be used continually at a maintenance dose level (1/5 ounce per gallon of gas) thereafter.