General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Where did everyone go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018 | 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Im not anti-FB. Its a great tool to use and the platform has some awesome advantages. Info comes very quickly, and the activity and content level is high. I am anti-FB in the respect of sappy attention seeking people. If you've been there you know, 500+ people on their friends list, have to validate everything they do each day in some self absorbed grandiose look at me posts. All pretending there life is so good, their personalities are so good, etc etc. It's exposure that a lot of people are really pathetic. So, I simply limit that. Small friends list, and then if you post political or dramatic crap, you get unfriended or unfollowed so I don't have to see it. I basically see nothing I don't want to. Works ok for me.
This is my exact thoughts regarding FB to a tee, and the bolded above is why I rarely ever log on to it. I log on here 4-5 days of the week on average, hoping to see some interesting thread topic. I love reading about something new and seeing others' share their experiences.
Old 12-20-2018 | 09:16 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Fb sucks
Old 12-20-2018 | 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

I still come on every other day when I have some time to kill, but don't post as much since it's a lot of the same threads. With FB, I tried it but I don't have the time to scroll through all the posts to find something where I can add useful insight or when 200 people have replied the same thing it's pointless. Selling here since the new marketplace was added is terrible, and after selling on FB, it's almost as bad as craigslist.

FWIW Im 29, and while not anti FB I just don't like dealing with all the trolls and useless **** posts. (what cam for my v6 to make it sound like a v8....GTFO here)
Old 12-20-2018 | 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjs1012
I still come on every other day when I have some time to kill, but don't post as much since it's a lot of the same threads. With FB, I tried it but I don't have the time to scroll through all the posts to find something where I can add useful insight or when 200 people have replied the same thing it's pointless. Selling here since the new marketplace was added is terrible, and after selling on FB, it's almost as bad as craigslist.

FWIW Im 29, and while not anti FB I just don't like dealing with all the trolls and useless **** posts. (what cam for my v6 to make it sound like a v8....GTFO here)
Hahaha
Old 12-20-2018 | 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Ive killed a lot of time at work reading/posting here.
Ha, me too, but I'm the boss so...
I'm 59yo and come here everyday. It has slowed considerably. I'll post a question and it will sit with a comment or two for months. I respond to a thread and be damned you'd think I ended it.
I'm on a few FB f-body sites, they are full of stupid responses and I don't like responding cause your phone will blow up for hours....I'll stick to LS1Tech. My car was built on knowledge and parts bought here.

Last edited by ragtopz28; 12-20-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-20-2018 | 02:22 PM
TECH Resident
15 Year Member

I used to spend hours a day on here when I had a desk job. Like others have said, life changes and age has pulled me away. I do WAY more with the F-body and LS engines more now than I used to (my company is based around it), but being so busy I rarely get here anymore. It is so nice to use the site for any useful info needed as it's always a search away. I'm not big on mobile apps and prefer the old desktop look. Glad to see there's still a good amount of users daily though!
Old 12-20-2018 | 02:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
That's exactly type of well stated, interesting unique post I never encounter on Facebook but I often see on the better bulletin board/forums like this one.

FB has so much ill-conceived commentary comes from folks who should know better. A childhood friend blasted everyone in a FB rant. Several old friends who live far away offered condolences when her husband passed away unexpectedly. She exploded into a vicious tirade. She demanded ​apologies by name and rebuked by name their condolences. It was an epic spectacle of poor taste.
I don't do Facebook, but Mrs. RPM used to be a regular user there years ago. She encountered the same sort of negative things that you and several others above have outlined, and has since abandoned that site due to such. I suppose that every site and format has both good and bad, but some formats seem to be a greater magnet for less desirable content and attitudes.

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Completely understand the attachment to the 98 Z28 Camaro over the other cars, my 91 RS has a very similar history and place in my garage.
I've read many of your past posts regarding your journey with the '91 RS; stories/history of that nature are the sort of personal connection which really adds value and perspective to a conversation. I'll take quality content such as this over "static/white noise" traffic any day.

On a side note, I think it's difficult for many of the younger crowd to make this sort of meaningful emotional connection with this hobby. From an early and impressionable age, their view of (and need for) the automobile seems to have been different than those of us who are a bit older. Of course there are always exceptions, but there definitely seems to be a generation gap in this regard.
Old 12-20-2018 | 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great thoughts from everyone! Happy holiday to all
Old 12-20-2018 | 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

I don't have a ton of posts, but I come here every day, I love this site.

Mike.
Old 12-20-2018 | 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Ive killed a lot of time at work reading/posting here.
I'm somewhat quilty of this myself...

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
Ha, me too, but I'm the boss so...
I'm 59yo and come here everyday. It has slowed considerably. I'll post a question and it will sit with a comment or two for months. I respond to a thread and be damned you'd think I ended it..

Above is how I feel also...my user name should have been "Thread Killer"...

I came when I started swapping the LS platform into various vehicles...

I'm old...57...I get my social interaction down at the VFW club...
Old 12-21-2018 | 08:08 AM
On The Tree

I don't post too often but I have been reading posts since 2014 or so and I'm 21. There's still some hope out there, a lot of younger guys will simply find the information on a forum and move on. They won't post much. That's just what I've noticed with friends who also share interests in cars.
Old 12-21-2018 | 03:13 PM
On The Tree

I used to come here all the time, seemed like Racers Lounge got 50 posts every hour.
It's interesting to see a thread like this...
Could they rename the site to LSXtech.com or is it already taken?
Old 12-21-2018 | 05:04 PM
Teching In

Im a newbie. Just got a CTS-V 1st gen. This forum and the corvette forums are the only ones I can find with some movement.

Nothing like my old Mitsu and Toyota forums. They are thriving. Especially the Tacoma forum. Place is a mad house!
Old 12-21-2018 | 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
On a side note, I think it's difficult for many of the younger crowd to make this sort of meaningful emotional connection with this hobby. From an early and impressionable age, their view of (and need for) the automobile seems to have been different than those of us who are a bit older. Of course there are always exceptions, but there definitely seems to be a generation gap in this regard.
I'm kind of torn on this, just when I think that most of the younger generation has abandoned the art of hot rodding, I run across some kid who's got a car and trying to make a few hp. There are some in the younger group that are interested in keeping the hobby alive, I just think that they may be on their own for the most part in a sea of peers that view cars as appliances that should have techie features instead of thrills. One thing that may contribute to this generation gap as it may be, is the cars that have been produced over the past 20 yrs. It appears that most of the people commenting in this thread are around their mid 30's, so that would have put them in high school in the late 90's early 00's when 4th gens, C5's, and mod motor Cobras were new. The best thing in my opinion about this vintage of cars is that they were advanced enough to have EFI, ABS, traction control, power windows, and reasonable sound systems, but they were still primitive enough to feel the mechanical operation of the car. I feel like this was the last era of cars that gave the driver those visceral feelings and would allow you to get into some trouble. Drive a brand new car with 400 or so hp, then jump in a 4th gen with similar power, the new car will be pleasing to drive, whereas the 4th gen will make you WANT to drive. OP, thanks for posting the thread and dragging some of the "Old" guys and gals out to chat. The LS1Tech community is still my favorite, thank you all!
Old 12-21-2018 | 07:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
I'm kind of torn on this, just when I think that most of the younger generation has abandoned the art of hot rodding, I run across some kid who's got a car and trying to make a few hp. There are some in the younger group that are interested in keeping the hobby alive, I just think that they may be on their own for the most part in a sea of peers that view cars as appliances that should have techie features instead of thrills. One thing that may contribute to this generation gap as it may be, is the cars that have been produced over the past 20 yrs. It appears that most of the people commenting in this thread are around their mid 30's, so that would have put them in high school in the late 90's early 00's when 4th gens, C5's, and mod motor Cobras were new. The best thing in my opinion about this vintage of cars is that they were advanced enough to have EFI, ABS, traction control, power windows, and reasonable sound systems, but they were still primitive enough to feel the mechanical operation of the car. I feel like this was the last era of cars that gave the driver those visceral feelings and would allow you to get into some trouble. Drive a brand new car with 400 or so hp, then jump in a 4th gen with similar power, the new car will be pleasing to drive, whereas the 4th gen will make you WANT to drive. OP, thanks for posting the thread and dragging some of the "Old" guys and gals out to chat. The LS1Tech community is still my favorite, thank you all!
This is an excellent post, several great points.

I've said many of the same things about 4th gens myself, in past threads. IMO, they were the most modern cars built that still have an "old car" soul; they still feel like operating a machine vs. an overly-refined transportation appliance with an isolation chamber for an interior and gadgets galore.

I'm just a bit older than the mid-30s crowd which seems to dominate this thread. When I first started driving in the early '90s it wasn't uncommon to still see cars from the '70s roaming about. The first few cars I owned were built between '71-'83, and I still own a '71 model today, so I'm quite familiar with the old dinosaurs and how they drive. While the 4th gens have a bunch of advancements from my '71, they still have a certain exhilarating rawness that seems to have been dramatically buffered on the current performance models. This is likely because the qualities which make 4th gens interesting to us tend to be a turn-off for folks outside the hobby - especially the younger ones.

But I do understand the daunting matter of dealing with "old car" problems on a modern-ish car. A lot of the younger guys never got to drive these cars (4th gens) when they were new and fresh, maybe some have had bad experiences with ones that have a bunch of miles or have been used up/abused in some way. Although they are simpler to work on than anything built in the last ~10 years, it's still much more of a challenge, especially for a beginner, than with considerably older cars from the '70s or prior. Modern cars have become almost too complicated for anyone to simply "learn by doing" at this point, and that greatly dampens the DIY maintenance/repair/modification aspect of the automotive hobby - thus weakening one's connection to any particular platform or specific car.
Old 12-21-2018 | 09:12 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

I haven't been posting much because car is stored for the winter. Gen X was pretty much the last generation where you could buy a new v8 while in your 20's and it was still affordable. Hell I was a college kid working full time with a brand new v8. These days kids are looking at what... $38k + for a new v8 mustang or camaro? The days of kids being in their early 20's and driving around in those cars are over. It's a shame too.
Old 12-21-2018 | 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
But I do understand the daunting matter of dealing with "old car" problems on a modern-ish car. A lot of the younger guys never got to drive these cars (4th gens) when they were new and fresh, maybe some have had bad experiences with ones that have a bunch of miles or have been used up/abused in some way. Although they are simpler to work on than anything built in the last ~10 years, it's still much more of a challenge, especially for a beginner, than with considerably older cars from the '70s or prior. Modern cars have become almost too complicated for anyone to simply "learn by doing" at this point, and that greatly dampens the DIY maintenance/repair/modification aspect of the automotive hobby - thus weakening one's connection to any particular platform or specific car.
Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Gen X was pretty much the last generation where you could buy a new v8 while in your 20's and it was still affordable. Hell I was a college kid working full time with a brand new v8. These days kids are looking at what... $38k + for a new v8 mustang or camaro? The days of kids being in their early 20's and driving around in those cars are over. It's a shame too.
I remember when this guy in town picked up a brand new 2002 WS6, I was in high school at the time drooling over this car wishing I could afford one, but instead I had to "settle" on a 1968 Camaro. It was a little rough, but it was an original 327 car. I got it with a tired 400 in it that I had to beat pistons out of with a hammer (I actually still have that block around... I might make a coffee table out of it). That became my first project car, and I learned my way around it mostly from the help of some older fellas that showed me how (I still learned a lot the hard way because, and this may be hard to believe - I didn't always listen very well as a teenager). Hopefully, some of the younger ones that are in high school now drooling over 6th gens get a chance to "settle" on a tired old 4th gen that needs a new lease on life, and luckily for them there's an entire community of people around here that have "been there, done that" with these cars who can teach them. Now, I don't know where that will leave the next generation without having a software engineering degree, but I guess someone smarter than me will figure that out.
Old 12-22-2018 | 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

I still hang around. I still have not upgraded from the 6 banger yet Only so much funds to work with. Life changes. I have a wife and a 5 month old now, did a big career change just a month ago, sold the house I had earlier this year, looking to buy another one soon hopefully. The car has been in storage for over a year now. Mice messed up my interior and HVAC so I gotta clean all that out. But once we have a house and the car is in the garage right there I'll be able to poke around at it here and there to get it up and running again.
Old 12-22-2018 | 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Cool thread! Great posts. When the 4th gen came out I really liked the car. Then the LS1 came out in the C5 & they put it in the F-body the next year. I fell in love. Always wanted one. As now on my third 4th gen. Second LS car.

Don't do FB. This is really the only forum I still come on. Thank you to the mods/admins & the people keeping this site going.
Old 12-22-2018 | 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

It has to be a generational thing, both from an appreciation of cars and medium for sharing the interest. Kids, and the public at large, see cars as an appliance, and most are bewildered by car maintenance (and the most remedial kind at that). My coworker astonishes his neighbor with such menial tasks as changing the oil. A friend's father in law thinks tire changing is an activity for "professionals", calls AAA. That's always been present in some percentage, but now even more so. https://www.nbcnews.com/business/con...e-most-n655501

As driverless cars, cars without dipsitcks, electric cars, and so on, become more prevalent it will only get worse.

With regard to ls1tech specifically, I'm always put off when anyone messages me on youtube in response to a video to "hit them up on FB". My though is usually "What the hell for?" That's where the wives and girlfriends post their kid pic's no one cares about. LS1Tech is where you go to get in to informative discussions about these 4th gen f-body's.

Last edited by lees02WS6; 12-22-2018 at 08:02 PM.