General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Where did everyone go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

IG and Facebook is where mostly everybody is . I am kind of young at 25, but as you can see by my join date, I am not new to these cars. I joined this forum about a month before I graduated high school which is when I got my 2000 Camaro SS. I lurked without an account on here for around 3-4 years prior to that too. I knew I wanted one of these cars before I even had a license.

I can without a doubt say LS1Tech is the place for technical information on this platform, there has been a ton of information shared on here over the years. This is where I learned everything I know about my car. Nowadays, I don't visit as much. The forums have slowed way down and I am pretty satisfied with my Camaro as far as modifications go. However, I occasionally read comments pertaining to topics involving these cars on IG and Facebook and I just scroll through thinking to myself "Man, these people are clueless".
Old 12-25-2018, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 27 but got my first LS car almost 10 years ago (98 Z28). I sold it 4 years ago and haven't had another cool LS project to work on until recently, therefore I don't come here everyday. Still come here all the time for info but don't have to post often because the info is already there and I have nothing of value to add. Currently looking to build a LQ4 H/C/I to put in a 2 door Tahoe so I'm back to searching and reading every day. I would be lost without this site and I truly appreciate all the knowledge and insight from the older crowd. This has always been my favorite forum, it better never die!!
Old 12-26-2018, 12:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

So many have gone to Facebook because they want that instant gratification of asked and answered. plus they want to ask a question without searching or applying 0 effort. they follow pages and just scroll and see builds and really learn nothing but only because they dont want to.
They want a sound clip of a cam thats all. Its pretty sad because we still have enough faith in the forum community to basically ONLY post stuff on here and then keep little content on the fb page and still pay quite a bit to be a forum sponsor.
They also dont like forums because of the structure and rules. The societal grievances against "bullying" are somewhat a HUGE double standard when you see these same people trashing others daily on fb for no other reason than not having the same opinion as them. They need the drama or the rise it causes and that doesnt fly on a forum. I mean ive bee right in the middle of a few "battles" on here but nowhere near the pettiness or ridiculousness of Facebook. Kids now days want daily new content or they get bored. and that age apparently ranges up to the mid 30s now sadly.
How many pages do you see the same questions asked 10 times DAILY? Its beyond absurd. They dont care as their lives are swiped away though.
I still believe in structure, facts, and non-clickbait. We would like more of our customers to get back to us with videos and post build updates and it seems like they only want to use social media for that due to the likes and shares they get from pure randoms and not from the actual true enthusiast community.
I think that social media and forums can coexist at the same time for the foreseeable future until IB screws up even more or tries to force it into a fb only clickbait setup.
The trolls love to troll and will make their own group just to have a sounding board/echo chamber also. it feeds their ego which is all they want but doesnt help the community in any way.

/gets off soap box.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:11 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
So many have gone to Facebook because they want that instant gratification of asked and answered. plus they want to ask a question without searching or applying 0 effort. they follow pages and just scroll and see builds and really learn nothing but only because they dont want to.
They want a sound clip of a cam thats all. Its pretty sad because we still have enough faith in the forum community to basically ONLY post stuff on here and then keep little content on the fb page and still pay quite a bit to be a forum sponsor.
They also dont like forums because of the structure and rules. The societal grievances against "bullying" are somewhat a HUGE double standard when you see these same people trashing others daily on fb for no other reason than not having the same opinion as them. They need the drama or the rise it causes and that doesnt fly on a forum. I mean ive bee right in the middle of a few "battles" on here but nowhere near the pettiness or ridiculousness of Facebook. Kids now days want daily new content or they get bored. and that age apparently ranges up to the mid 30s now sadly.
How many pages do you see the same questions asked 10 times DAILY? Its beyond absurd. They dont care as their lives are swiped away though.
I still believe in structure, facts, and non-clickbait. We would like more of our customers to get back to us with videos and post build updates and it seems like they only want to use social media for that due to the likes and shares they get from pure randoms and not from the actual true enthusiast community.
I think that social media and forums can coexist at the same time for the foreseeable future until IB screws up even more or tries to force it into a fb only clickbait setup.
The trolls love to troll and will make their own group just to have a sounding board/echo chamber also. it feeds their ego which is all they want but doesnt help the community in any way.

/gets off soap box.
*dr_whigham likes this*
Old 12-26-2018, 03:36 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

My time spent here tapered off a lot back in 2007 when I made a career change. I no longer had a computer to sit at all day, so I was left to just being here on my own time. Now that I think about it, my previous employer paid me a lot of money to be on here even if they weren't exactly aware of it.

I use facebook, but facebook can't hold a candle to the years of information that can be found here.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:12 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
This site misses a lot daily due to low(er) traffic, which draws you away for a few reasons. FB has way more day to day content (the newest owners are posting their questions there not here), and sales of parts come a lot quicker for the most part. I advertise the same **** on multiple platforms and FB wins in volume. You can reach your buyer base better/faster.
I wouldn't have guessed that enthusiasts are finding this level of functionality with FB for hobby interests, as the site is so diffuse and doesn't lend itself to any depth. Then, as has been stated, you have to endure the narcissism, posturing, constant flame wars, etc. that are the reasons many of us aren't on it.

I think I can expand a bit on the good comments others have made in this thread. A lot of guys had fun with the 4th gen platform when it was new and hot, but have since moved on. These cars are in a sort of "no man's land" right now. They're neither current or classic. We're just beginning to see posts having to do with "restoring" them. More interest may develop when guys get to the point of "Yeah, I had one of those when I was young and am sorry I sold it" and then go out looking to find a WS6 like the one they once had.

On the generational thing, I for one have always wanted to learn everything I possibly can about a car that I'm into. When I got my first LS1 Formula and found this site, my appetite was voracious. As I still have that car and another, I'm still eager to learn whatever I can, and share whatever I have learned, and thus regularly visit the site. i don't observe much of the same in the younger generations; my sons and nephews aren't like that. They all like the idea of having a cool car, but there's no passion to be deeply involved with it. As others have said, with the way the industry has gone, maybe car enthusiasts in general are an endangered species.

These cars are among the most modifiable among 21st century automobiles. Thus, with the help of this site, I was able to make my car into exactly what I wanted it to be. This I think guarantees that 4th gens will always have a certain cult following, but it will never be at the level it was when they were new.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

This site is doing much better than most other car forums out there. While the 4th gens and C5's' were the driving factors with the learning path of the Gen3's 15+ years ago, the Gen4s aren't that far out of production ('17 if you count the Chevy SS plus technically the iron 6.0 in the trucks were still going), and outside of DI the Gen V's still share the overall architecture. So really the site's content is still quite relevant to any current V8 GM performance car. A lot of other car-based forums don't have that luxury.

Someone mentioned the younger generation being into import tuners, but honestly from what I've seen even that has faded out a ton. 15-18 years ago the main drag in my area was crawling with winged imports, it is a rarity now. The Subaru guys may be an exception but at least most of them are legitimately into performance and track days, not just the old ricer mentality of making a Civic loud and slow. If anything I see more teens and early twenty somethings interested in my 2 LS's now then there were years ago. But overall yes I'd say certainly the younger generation is less into the hobby, and cars overall just less important to them. Oh and brodozers with 8" stacks seem to have pried away a chunk of the younger generation who are actually interested in auto mechanics, taking the place of muscle cars.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Why use a forum with searchable content when you can just post on FB everyday the same posts:
-Check out my custom ride (new wheels and euro headlights)
- Which oil to use?
- Worth it to use premium fuel?
- What size wheels/tires?
Old 12-27-2018, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
Why use a forum with searchable content when you can just post on FB everyday the same posts:
- Which oil to use?
You forgot the "trap door" haters!
Old 12-27-2018, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I still linger, there's just so much information on here. With facebook you'll get 20 different answers to the same question!

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
- Which oil to use?
Don't forget:
- 1999 Camaro SS 231k, but I have C5 replicas. 15k FIRM I know what I have.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:38 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Oh and brodozers with 8" stacks seem to have pried away a chunk of the younger generation who are actually interested in auto mechanics, taking the place of muscle cars.
This is a good point. For example, a kid down the street who drove an 03 Cobra for years replaced it recently with a gigantic Dodge Ram monster truck. A lot of young folks have gravitated toward trucks, and there has been a big surge in interest in restoring classic C-10's and F-150's lately.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C
I still linger, there's just so much information on here. With facebook you'll get 20 different answers to the same question!

Don't forget:
- 1999 Camaro SS 231k, but I have C5 replicas. 15k FIRM I know what I have.
HAHAHAHA

"No tire kickers. No joy rides. Only test drive with cash in hand."

Don't forget the obligatory pics of the car all with the phone rotated 45 degrees. JFC I don't know how that trend seems to carry on.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I Joined a couple of places at Facebook because of the slow down here. It sucks so hard over there. The rudeness of the guys shitting on for sale threads alone is crazy. I haven’t listed anything on there because I’ve always used the forums and just don’t know about dealing with those trolls. I’m already bad enough about telling a low baller to stick it that over there I’d likely get booted. I have bought a few things and can tell you that shipping is way lazier. I guess they figure if they don’t rip you off it’s good enough.

I told my brother that I was about through with FB already a few days ago and I’d deal with the slow down of the forum traffic or eBay the stuff. I plan to put the TBSS up for sale soon and really don’t know where it’s getting listed.

I actually saw a pot on FB talking about how slow 10s are. Guarantee that’s a keyboard warrior that’s never actually built cars. Another was saying 200 in the standing mile was easy. These jokers aren’t funny.

I mostly stay on the FI, marketplace and Texas section but I’ll try to increase my span. Maybe I’m not the only one sick of the Nosy Book already. I haven’t even been there maybe 10 months

Old 12-29-2018, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I grew up in the era of filing ignition points and adjusting front drum brakes. Learned mechanics from a one inch thick Chilton manual, and occasionally on my lucky day, have a mystery that was bouncing around in my head solved by a real live mechanic.

When I first discovered LS1tech I could hardly believe what a Godsend it was to to have all of this high quality free information right in front of my face. I just read and read and read for hours every day. I couldn't get enough info into myself.

My son and I were working on an LS6 project recently, and when we ran into the inevitable hangup, I said I would research it later that night. He said thats a waste of time and posted the question on FB to get a flood of answers instantly. I must admit that even though we still had to wade through a lot of garbage, the right answer was contained in the responses. This is the way the new generation does mechanics, but I still maintain that if I was hungry I would rather have a fishing pole than be given a free fish.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67
I grew up in the era of filing ignition points and adjusting front drum brakes. Learned mechanics from a one inch thick Chilton manual, and occasionally on my lucky day, have a mystery that was bouncing around in my head solved by a real live mechanic.

When I first discovered LS1tech I could hardly believe what a Godsend it was to to have all of this high quality free information right in front of my face. I just read and read and read for hours every day. I couldn't get enough info into myself.

My son and I were working on an LS6 project recently, and when we ran into the inevitable hangup, I said I would research it later that night. He said thats a waste of time and posted the question on FB to get a flood of answers instantly. I must admit that even though we still had to wade through a lot of garbage, the right answer was contained in the responses. This is the way the new generation does mechanics, but I still maintain that if I was hungry I would rather have a fishing pole than be given a free fish.
google.com + ls1tech

FB is a waste of time. You can find what you need on ls1tech generally by wrapping it in quotes on a google search. I imagine that will work much better than sifting through the no-know-things' comments on FB.

"ls1tech" "416 "injector" "size"

Old 12-29-2018, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

He said it all !

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
Some of us are still here. What I imagine is that most of us that bought f-bodies at a younger age have had kids and either been forced to move on or upgraded. For some of us though, we've persevered and won battle after battle over wives (asking to sell the car), succeeded enough professionally to afford a nice Daily Driver and have the car for fun or just haven't had kids yet. I assume most of us that have been on this page over the years, grew up with forums being the precursor to modern social media. We're all probably over 30 years old.
Those youngins that buy these cars nowadays are so indoctrinated with social media that they probably don't know what a forum is.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

I grew up in the era of filing ignition points and adjusting front drum brakes.
For some of us, this era hasn't yet ended. I still have front drums on my '71 and recently did a rebuild on the entire system. The adjustment/break-in process has become trickier since nobody seems to have an arcing machine sitting around these days.

Learned mechanics from a one inch thick Chilton manual, and occasionally on my lucky day, have a mystery that was bouncing around in my head solved by a real live mechanic.
This reminds me of a local shop that was in my old neighborhood when I was younger. The shop owner was an experienced GM tech who opened his own business, at first I was just a customer but we quickly became friends. Eventually I started helping him here and there, he taught me quite a few useful things during that period.

He said thats a waste of time and posted the question on FB to get a flood of answers instantly. I must admit that even though we still had to wade through a lot of garbage, the right answer was contained in the responses. This is the way the new generation does mechanics, but I still maintain that if I was hungry I would rather have a fishing pole than be given a free fish.
Doesn't seem like any time is actually saved when you have to dig through all that junk anyway, and then you still can't be certain that the right answer will be contained within. I agree, take the fishing pole; actual research will likely yield consistently better results.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

No one on FB uses google or common sense. They need the instant gratification of asked and answered. and the group admins dont moderate anything and IF they do that pansy starts their own page and trashes them and gets an echo chamber full of yessirs.
We put 100% more content on here than on our fb or ig page. I still believe in the forums. People that build stuff halfway decent do imo. the sloppy **** is for fb and ig. I dont support any of that. Im not old either, i just act like a crochety old man sometimes.
The dull minds and dim eyes need constant content. It does make releasing products hard...but the worse part? Reading someones story about how they just know you'll give them thousands in parts for free just for a shoutout on their ig page or YouTube that has 1000 followers. CLEETUS' DOGS POOPING IN PLACES HAS MORE FOLLOWERS THAN THAT. So seriously it seems like YouTube now and being idiotically viral in 2018 is the new monster energy sponsorship from 1997. We arent going to give free parts on a pinky promise. No one will, and if they do they are likely the "dealers" sniping on fb for $5 per transaction.
I sound bitter because i started new years a couple days early!! ROLL TIDE!!!
Old 12-31-2018, 11:06 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I’m 52 and the original owner of my ‘94 Z28. I check out this site and Camaroz28.com quite often. The latter is much slower than this site, but both are still very useful, imo. My car sat for about 17 years. I finally got around to driving it again over Thanksgiving 2017. If I ever decide to build my engine I’m afraid there won’t be anyone around to answer my questions. Fortunately for me, I seem pretty content with the exhaust & suspension upgrades I’ve done. I really enjoy driving the car and it seems more than fast enough to get me killed. Getting older is loaded with upside.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Which brings on another thought. I've been here a while, and I clearly recall how adamant they, i.e. LS1Tech staff, were about protecting sponsors here. The thought was without sponsors we have no site. I always contended without MEMBERS (traffic) you have no sponsors, then you have no site. Not sure how the IB buyout effects the whole scenario, but I have been waiting to see exactly WHEN the traffic has gotten so low that the sponsors start pulling out. Guess time will tell......not sure how much traffic is being generated but without new posting like stated above due to archived info. Be interesting to see the numbers.
Spot on
A lot of traffic has moved to FB and unfortunately trying to find decent content over there sucks.