General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

KBB / NADA values vs. Insurance Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using Grundy for almost 10 years. No complaints as of yet but the car is rarely driven; I think I put 50 miles on it in about 3 years. I have a 2001 SS with 20K miles and pay about $330 a year. The price goes up every year, I believe I was paying around $260 when I first got it. There is no mileage limit but you need to show proof it's garage kept and send in pictures, typical collector car insurance stuff. This was 10 years ago though so it's possible that some of that has changed. I have an agreed value of $20,000 but I have been meaning to go over my policy again and adjust as necessary.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F163867555075

Damn...About the same mileage as mine.
those gateway goofballs are just that. Goofballs. They have locations in several major cities around the country, and many (MANY) times they don't even actually have the car. Instead, they are just acting as a listing agent for some silly dreamer, or have it set up as a consignment type deal and add their fees on top of some dreamers already comical price. Lots of those guys are "I don't really want to sell it, but for stupid money I'd sure let it go" types. The problem with listings like that is: lots of guys use them to base the worth/value of their own cars when they decide to sell.........without realizing how absolutely comical the price is. Or without taking into account that those cars go years without selling, if they ever actually sell at all (for the listed comical price). That's why you see rolling junkyards in Craigslist for ridiculous prices captioned "don't try to lowball me, I knows what I gots".
Old 12-11-2019, 08:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Enigma540
...Lots of those guys are "I don't really want to sell it, but for stupid money I'd sure let it go" types. The problem with listings like that is: lots of guys use them to base the worth/value of their own cars when they decide to sell.........without realizing how absolutely comical the price is. Or without taking into account that those cars go years without selling, if they ever actually sell at all (for the listed comical price). That's why you see rolling junkyards in Craigslist for ridiculous prices captioned "don't try to lowball me, I knows what I gots".
This is a great post, it's absolutely correct and I've noticed it as well. And the issue/consequence goes even deeper; companies like Hagerty, which list a specialty/collector "book" value for these special interest type cars, actually use asking price data as part of their matrix for calculating their listed value. So you have to take said listed "value" with a grain of salt as well, because the data is somewhat corrupted by these dreamers with ridiculous asking prices.

Those folks who state "I know what I have, no low ballers" often ask the craziest prices of all. If they actually knew what they had, then they would price the car in a range that might actually get it sold this century. Otherwise, all they are hoping to do is essentially win the lotto.

Quick Reply: KBB / NADA values vs. Insurance Coverage