General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Cool LS1 Tune / An ECM story

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cool LS1 Tune / An ECM story

The individual is not listed as a vendor anymore, so mods I will tread lightly but I did want to give him an appreciated shout out.
I have been using a well known shop in the San Antonio area for at least 10 years. They had built two engines, and did dozens of mods for me after my hands gave out due to my MS. Anyway, 2 years ago when doing another round of mods on my 2000 WS6, I let the owner talk me into a fast 102 with a 102mm TB. I said I believed that it was too much for my combo, but he insisted that it would be fine. So I went to pick up the car to have it stall pulling out of the shop, I then stall two more times, and bring her right back. The tune is off. One blip of the throttle when cold and it dies every time. The tuner apologized and asked me to leave it for it to be retuned. This happened 2 more times, I go to pick up the car to have it die immediately. This was the same small cam (224/228) as before but with the 102 intake BTW).. Finally one last time I go pick up the car and the owner and tuner are not there, and the guy behind the counter says that the owner said that there was nothing else they could do. (Now keep in mind that I had spent roughly $30k over 10 years and had always received great service and products.) I pull into the street to have the car stall as I'm pulling out. I walk in and tell the guy to tell the owner that I will never be back. The owner never calls me to express regret. Oh well, I'm gone...
I put up with this crappy LOCKED tune for a couple of years and about 5k miles. It is better after the car is warm and I learned to never let off the gas too quickly and slam the throttle shut. I also would literally warm my car up for 10 minutes before driving it.
So I called a well known mail order tuner that many have used who is known to be a Cool Guy. He said that he can probably fix it up but I would need a new ECM because of the locked tune. He then sends me a computer with a tune based strictly based upon our conversation and the information sheet with all my car's information.... Drives like stock! Perfect! Screams like a raped ape too!
Why didn't I do this years ago?

So anyways a big thanks to this guy. Hopefully you know who I am talking about. I get to drive my car and chill at the same time.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

finding a tuner that knows what he's doing is priceless! 3-4 bad tunes in Ca, Then I move to Alabama and somehow? find Vengeance Racing, Decided to go for a tune basically stock 06 LS2 Corvette WOW! runs great! Next I decided to have some work done not much HB and some seals BAM! done in less then the quoted time and shop rate is only like $90 hour? I go away do some work myself(cam) back for a touch up tune, doesn't charge me full price, NICE! I go away do some more work I should have done with the cam back for a touch up tune again just paying for their time, I've done this a few times to the point I would have told myself I was a pain in the ***, BUT no, always welcome! NOW Mike C. and Vengeance racing can do Tuning or touch ups with EFI LIVE NOW anyone in the WORLD can get tuned by Mike C. and Vengeance Racing. I cannot say enuf good about Vengeance racing or Mike C. And it sounds like your talking about Chuck Cow and yes he's a cool guy.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually it's Steve Frost, but his business doesn't seem to be a vendor. He was great. Tuning seems to as much an art as a science. However he knows his art well.... Now I've got to find a new shop in San Antonio because I'm buying a C6 and just can't keep it stock.
BTW I'm originally from Bama

Last edited by ronsws6; 01-15-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

There are a million people who claim to tune these engines. The number of people who can actually do it well seems to be under a hundred in the world. The problem is that some of the bad ones have good reputations because people don't want to go against the group think.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsws6
Actually it's Steve Frost, but his business doesn't seem to be a vendor. He was great. Tuning seems to as much an art as a science. However he knows his art well.... Now I've got to find a new shop in San Antonio because I'm buying a C6 and just can't keep it stock.
BTW I'm originally from Bama
Its neither. Its knowledge vs experience. As you gain one you gain the other. Like ANY profession in life, you have people who half *** and do the minimum possible, and others when they encounter an issue actually try to understand it rather then bandaid it to get the car out the door.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I had my WS6 tuned once, It didn't run any better, pinged going up hills and didn't cruise as nice out on the highway. Also had poor mid range response, after a week I took it back and had the stock tune reloaded.