General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How to make c5 exhaust louder for under 600$

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make c5 exhaust louder for under 600$

Hello i have a 2000 c5 and the previous owner swapped a zo6 exhaust on but it is still very quite any recommendations on how to make it louder. I don’t really want to spend 1k+ on a axel back. I was thinking about doing a muffler delete or exhaust cutouts. Do I have any other options besides the delete or cutouts for for under 600$? Thanks I’m advance.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

In my opinion, do NOT hack up the Z06 titanium axle back exhaust. It is worth money to sell it and there are many people out there that want it, C5 Z06 axleback sell very easily.
If you want to do a muffler delete, sell the Z06 Ti axleback (should easily get $300-$400 for it), get regular C5 axleback (should be next to nothing) and hack that up because the pipe diameters are the same. Or, subtract the $300-$400 for selling the Z06 exhaust from the price of a new (or used in good condition) aftermarket exhaust. There are plenty of new aftermarket axle back exhaust for under $1,000.
Another option if you don't have to worry about passing emissions. This option will also actually net you a good gain in power, keep the Z06 axle back and save a little more money for a long tube headers with an off-road X-pipe, Texas Speed & Performance had a kit for $750. This will certainly give you a noticeable increase in sound and rumble from the exhaust (sounds very good by the way, I had it on my C5 and loved it). This will also give you a good gain in power, likely around 20hp maybe more. Just swapping the Z06 axle back for an aftermarket axle back will NOT give you a power increase at all, well maybe 1 to 3 hp, but that's it, nothing noticeable.

OP, where are you located?
Old 02-07-2019, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
In my opinion, do NOT hack up the Z06 titanium axle back exhaust. It is worth money to sell it and there are many people out there that want it, C5 Z06 axleback sell very easily.
If you want to do a muffler delete, sell the Z06 Ti axleback (should easily get $300-$400 for it), get regular C5 axleback (should be next to nothing) and hack that up because the pipe diameters are the same. Or, subtract the $300-$400 for selling the Z06 exhaust from the price of a new (or used in good condition) aftermarket exhaust. There are plenty of new aftermarket axle back exhaust for under $1,000.
Another option if you don't have to worry about passing emissions. This option will also actually net you a good gain in power, keep the Z06 axle back and save a little more money for a long tube headers with an off-road X-pipe, Texas Speed & Performance had a kit for $750. This will certainly give you a noticeable increase in sound and rumble from the exhaust (sounds very good by the way, I had it on my C5 and loved it). This will also give you a good gain in power, likely around 20hp maybe more. Just swapping the Z06 axle back for an aftermarket axle back will NOT give you a power increase at all, well maybe 1 to 3 hp, but that's it, nothing noticeable.

OP, where are you located?
Thanks for your input, and I’m located in CA, so I don’t really want to run the long tubes. Maybe just the OR x pipe cause it will be easier to switch out, but will running the OR x pipe with the zo6 exhaust make a big sound difference?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

cutouts- cheap/easy and can be turned off when you want it quiet.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Give us a call @ 610-628-1563, we can hook you up with a great deal on something like this-

https://www.cspracing.com/borla-stin...te-z06/140038/

Old 02-07-2019, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky Torres

Thanks for your input, and I’m located in CA, so I don’t really want to run the long tubes. Maybe just the OR x pipe cause it will be easier to switch out, but will running the OR x pipe with the zo6 exhaust make a big sound difference?
Not exactly sure on running it with factory exhaust manifolds. I just know from experience that running long tubes, OR x-pipe with Z06 axle back is not quiet, but also not obnoxiously loud at all. It has a nice rumble at low rpm's but is very noticeable and sounds great at full throttle. Since you're in CA, really your best and easiest route (for sound) would be to sell the Z06 exhaust and put that money towards an aftermarket axle back exhaust. You could likely get pretty close spending $600 after selling the Z06 stuff. You also have the option to look for a good condition used aftermarket exhaust to save a good amount of cash.