General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Chevy express headers help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy express headers help !!!

In need of some Chevy Express headers I am looking for a long tubes and if wondering if anyone knows if Silverado headers or anything else will fit I prefer not to use shorties as I will be doing a cam and intake on this as well. Your help and input is greatly appreciated.

2005 Chevy short bus
unknown weight
unknown rear gear
6.0l
4l80e
BTR NSR cam (need it to idle nasty at the bar)
eBay 102mm or TBSS
LT headers
Lowering 5 inches with 22.5 semi wheels (still to come)
Old 02-12-2019, 02:30 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,503 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Isn’t that essentially a Silverado front end? I would be willing to try a set of truck headers if I were doing what your doing. Prolly work just fine.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Isn’t that essentially a Silverado front end? I would be willing to try a set of truck headers if I were doing what your doing. Prolly work just fine.
GM vans have always been separate from the trucks. Not much is the same when it comes to positioning.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:46 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,503 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by bammax
GM vans have always been separate from the trucks. Not much is the same when it comes to positioning.
I get what your saying. I own a fleet of savannah vans. I’ve certainly never modded one of mine, but while I’m under them, I’ve thought to myself a hundred times how much room there is for headers and exhaust. Just figured the truck headers would work fine, as the engines are so setback in the vans.
Ive never searched for headers for a Savannah/Express. Maybe they are available?
Old 02-13-2019, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

I get what your saying. I own a fleet of savannah vans. I’ve certainly never modded one of mine, but while I’m under them, I’ve thought to myself a hundred times how much room there is for headers and exhaust. Just figured the truck headers would work fine, as the engines are so setback in the vans.
Ive never searched for headers for a Savannah/Express. Maybe they are available?
I have searched long and wide, i can't find a set of long tube headers tailored to the vans , as mentioned they are different from a silverado. Going to try a set of silverado long tubes in April and see how it goes....
Old 02-13-2019, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

I was shopping for some performance parts for an express and they're all custom. I'm sure there's something that fits pretty well, but I don't know exactly what brand/style/application works since nobody is in a hurry to try.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

My 1997 has Thorley headers for a school bus/delivery van on them. Looks like they possibly make them for the newer chassis as well.

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-15-2019, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fast355
My 1997 has Thorley headers for a school bus/delivery van on them. Looks like they possibly make them for the newer chassis as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Doug-Thorley-.../dp/B009OZA8YU

holy smokes 1200 bucks ? Better off putting a turbo on this thing.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Does anyone know what I can expect for a whp with this setup ? Debating if I should just put a small turbo on this rig if I get rid of the mechanical fan and run efans I'll have way more than enough room

102mm intake and tb
headers
comp cams thumpr 54-700-11
stock heads
stock injectors that will probably come close to running out of fuel.
really would like to see 300whp.

another question

does anyone know what efans will fit ? I prefer to buy something off the shelf that bolts on.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

pics added for viewing pleasure
Old 02-17-2019, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Late to the party but speed engineering headers can't be beat for the money. Give them a call and they will help you pic a header. All the vehicle specific headers I've tried fit with no problems, The c10 1-3/4" swap headers could be considered a universal swap header in my opinion as they are the tightest to the block and tranny that they offer.
The following users liked this post:
cookseyb (11-22-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:25 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

05?

Any of the Denali fans should fit; 99-06 I believe. If you get it off eBay they'll even include the factor UNCUT harness and relay that goes under the fuse box. 2 wires to the PCM and you're good.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the replys !

ordered a set of fans that fit the Denali with a standalone harness.

anyways got the cam in started it up 55psi at idle, runs really rough needs a tune didn't think it would run this rough with this small of a cam.

as far as headers go i reached out to speed engineering they were not much of any help on the matter. so im going to go ahead and get a set that fits a 99 to 06 Silverado and set that fit LS swapped impala/ firebird 76-87 both are the cheap eBay headers. figured it was best to order both and see what fits.

also have a small issue, the parking "brake" light and a constant chime is on, i may have knocked a ground loose. checked parking brake sensor, fluid level, mc sensor, ground on back of the block etc. if anyone has any input on where i can look further that would be great ! hoping to get this tuned by march second.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=also have a small issue, the parking "brake" light and a constant chime is on, i may have knocked a ground loose. checked parking brake sensor, fluid level, mc sensor, ground on back of the block etc. if anyone has any input on where i can look further that would be great ! hoping to get this tuned by march second.[/QUOTE]

Turns out the brake light and constant chime can be activated by the power steering pump sensor that is in the high pressure line, i had the bus in the air front wheels on ramps and no belt on when test firing, put the belt on put it on a level ground. problem solved
Old 11-19-2019, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Any update as to what long tube headers fit the van chassis?
Old 01-05-2023, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just saw my #1 cylinders frontmost header bolts head broke off. have yet to remove dog house to see how many other header bolts are broken off. anyone here extract these peskie bolts w/ the engine in van. mines a 04 express 3500. if theres a few broken bolts how much power am I losing?

OP I like your cam selection did you gain any bottom end torque?
my van weights is over 8KLB probablley more than your bus,even w/ the 6.0 she needs more bottom end.