General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How to clean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean?

Pulled this running and driving ironblock 5.3 from a friends rear-ended truck. It leaked a lot of oil as can be seen by the pictures. What’s the best way to clean it? It is also rusty in one area, how do I knock that off to get ready for paint? Will attach pics. Thanks!

Old 06-22-2019, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Start with
mineral spirits(soak) and a high pressure washer. Then wire brush with solvent and elbow grease.. Valve covers, valley cover all removable parts are easier cleaned one piece at a time. Have fun...
Old 06-22-2019, 08:16 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,079 Posts

I’d put the intake back on properly, and the exhaust manifolds. This will help keep water out. As Cooksey said, soak it with a solvent of some sort and get ready to get dirty. I’d use HOT water from a hose (bottom spicket on your water heater, if you don’t have a hot spicket) and scrub away. Greased Lightning works well also. Leave all of your sensors in for this. They will help keep water out. I personally don’t use a pressure washer. I’m afraid the intake gaskets will not hold the water pressure back, and fill the intake ports/cylinders full of water. You can even go down to your local parts house and buy a couple cases of brake parts cleaner and clean it that way. Probably the safest way actually. Gonna be messy!!
Old 06-22-2019, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Close up everything, scrap off the heavy stuff, get 2 cans of easyoff oven cleaner. Spray the 1st can and let sit for 20 than hose and wipe off. You be pleased, now use the second can. Last thing, find a mask and spray brake cleaner to wash away any oil residue. It will leave to metal dry and free. Caution brake cleaner BAD for the brain.

Easyoff will bubble the crap / trash out of the pores of the metal.