General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

C5 corvette or f body 2002 Camaro as 35th anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 corvette or f body 2002 Camaro as 35th anniversary

I’m honestly torn between the c5 and camaro as I don’t know which will be a better bang for my buck he wants 12k for the Camaro and the c5 I was looking at the guy wants 13k it has 66k miles and has an exhaust. Just want to hear some opinions on which one would be a better deal. P.S it is going to be a daily driver. I was leaning a little more toward the camaro cause of how clean it looks, but the Vette just has such a sleek design.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:31 AM

Default C5 or 2002 camaro ss 35th anniversary

Can’t decide between the two or which will be a better bang for my buck. The guy that is selling the camaro wants 12k and it has a upgraded suspension, while for the corvette it only has an exhaust and he wants 13k I only have pics of the camaro, but I just want to hear some opinions on things.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I greatly dislike the cosmetic (and a couple of the mechanical) modifications on that Camaro so, if it were me, I wouldn't even consider that car.

Sounds like the C5 is similar money with similar miles, so if it's in nice condition I would go with that.

I've lately been looking at C5s as well. I don't actually like them as much as an F-body in terms of styling, but I'm pretty picky about my 4th gens and haven't been able to find one that works for me. Nice C5s are generally easier to find. I'd still rather have another Camaro if the right one appeared, but the C5s have grown on me in recent years.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, I woundnt touch that particular Camaro especially with the bodywork. And way too much intervention on the on the mechanical.

Ive never driven a C5, but I know what theyre made of and its a whole lot better chassis than a Camaro.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been thinking about getting a c5 and trying to sell or put my Camaro away. Go with the c5 especially if it's unmolested
Old 01-25-2019, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I also don't really like the visual mods on that Camaro so that would keep me from buying. Other question is - why the heck does he have a 450lp fuel pump on there? I didn't see any mods that would require it like a blower. Maybe he means a 255, which at least is a drop in. A 450 on these cars takes a lot of fuel system work and really a switch to a return style. A lot of hassle for what looks like a bolt on car.

If the C5 is unmolested and in good shape I'd probably go with that.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I've had both a 4th gen and a C5. The C5 is hands down the better car. That being said, there are a lot more things to break and the 97-00's have a lot of discontinued parts, so go for the 01+.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
I also don't really like the visual mods on that Camaro so that would keep me from buying. Other question is - why the heck does he have a 450lp fuel pump on there? I didn't see any mods that would require it like a blower. Maybe he means a 255, which at least is a drop in. A 450 on these cars takes a lot of fuel system work and really a switch to a return style. A lot of hassle for what looks like a bolt on car.

If the C5 is unmolested and in good shape I'd probably go with that.
I believe it’s because he had swapped a ls3 with a blower on it, but then he decided to sell it and swapped a ls1 back in
Old 01-25-2019, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by JC316
I've had both a 4th gen and a C5. The C5 is hands down the better car. That being said, there are a lot more things to break and the 97-00's have a lot of discontinued parts, so go for the 01+.
I’ve heard that they are discontinuing parts for the 01-04 c5 as well, is that true, also I’ve heard that 01-04 tend to burn a lot of oil, and to change the fuel filter you have to drop the gas tank. I’ve been looking into c5’s and most people recommend to go for one with lower miles, and one you know has not been thrashed around.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I'm curious about what type of parts are discontinued which relate to only a '97-'00 model but not an '01+? Other than the obvious engine differences, what other sorts of items separate [and have become hard to acquire for] the early C5s vs. the latter ones?
Old 01-25-2019, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm curious about what type of parts are discontinued which relate to only a '97-'00 model but not an '01+? Other than the obvious engine differences, what other sorts of items separate [and have become hard to acquire for] the early C5s vs. the latter ones?
just curious, but what does a clean c5 Vette go for in your guys area, and what would be a good price range to pay. In my area the ones that are garaged, and have 60k-80k miles run for about 11k-16k. What would you guys think is a good price to pay?
Old 01-26-2019, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky Torres

I’ve heard that they are discontinuing parts for the 01-04 c5 as well, is that true, also I’ve heard that 01-04 tend to burn a lot of oil, and to change the fuel filter you have to drop the gas tank. I’ve been looking into c5’s and most people recommend to go for one with lower miles, and one you know has not been thrashed around.
I think you have the burning oil part backwards, '01-04 C5s received an improved pcv system which helped the '97-'00 oil consumption issue. '01-'04 received an improved engine valley cover with an integrated oil/water separator, which replaced the external pcv valve and mess of pcv hoses that was on '97-'00 models.

As far as the fuel filter, '97 thru mid '03 C5s have an easy to replace inline fuel filter on the driver side inside frame rail just infront of the driver side rear wheel. These C5's also have an easily accessible fuel pump behind a metal shield within the rear driver side wheel well. Sometime in mid '03 they changed the C5 fuel tank design and removed the inline fuel filter that was on the frame rail. These late '03 and '04 C5s do not have an inline fuel filter, the filter is inside the tank, and the tank has to be dropped to remove the fuel pump and filter.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

IMO that particular Camaro would not be a good daily driver. Normally I would prefer a more 'stock' example as a daily driver just for the ride and nice room you would have for carrying things around. If you really don't have a need for 'space' then the C5 would be a wonderful car. From what I've seen and learned about Corvettes, the best bang for the buck are the low mileage 'garage queens' owned by older guys. They are like 'new' cars and they don't get harmed much by sitting like C4 and earlier models of the past. Get the lowest mileage, newest example you personally can afford. Best of luck with your search! It's half the fun and don't settlel! Get the one you want, from color to options. There are many for sale. I had that philosophy with my current C6. Zero regrets other than it being a bit pricey, but that feeling goes away the longer you keep the car.

**Added info: Expect to pay upper teens (right up to $20k & beyond, depending on the miles) for a newer example like I described. If you find a higher mileage, well cared for example then you should be mid teens. You will see the asking prices higher naturally so put on your negotiating shoes when you find the right one.

Last edited by NC01TA; 01-26-2019 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-26-2019, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

A lot of the 01-04 parts are shared with other GM models and have aftermarket support.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Steering wheel position sensor, ebtcm, adjustable shocks, and every other sensor that's part of the active handling. I scoured the internet high and low looking for the SWPS for my 00 and flat couldn't find one, they go for $400 used.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

just curious, but what does a clean c5 Vette go for in your guys area, and what would be a good price range to pay. In my area the ones that are garaged, and have 60k-80k miles run for about 11k-16k. What would you guys think is a good price to pay?
I've been passively watching them in the ~50k mile range for the last year or so, it seems that mid-teens is about right for a garden variety example in that mileage range. Roof type and trans type will have an impact though. I've recently seen a nice 2002 example with only 21k miles list for as low as $18.9k at a local dealer.

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
I think you have the burning oil part backwards, '01-04 C5s received an improved pcv system which helped the '97-'00 oil consumption issue. '01-'04 received an improved engine valley cover with an integrated oil/water separator, which replaced the external pcv valve and mess of pcv hoses that was on '97-'00 models.

As far as the fuel filter, '97 thru mid '03 C5s have an easy to replace inline fuel filter on the driver side inside frame rail just infront of the driver side rear wheel. These C5's also have an easily accessible fuel pump behind a metal shield within the rear driver side wheel well. Sometime in mid '03 they changed the C5 fuel tank design and removed the inline fuel filter that was on the frame rail. These late '03 and '04 C5s do not have an inline fuel filter, the filter is inside the tank, and the tank has to be dropped to remove the fuel pump and filter.

A lot of the 01-04 parts are shared with other GM models and have aftermarket support.

Steering wheel position sensor, ebtcm, adjustable shocks, and every other sensor that's part of the active handling. I scoured the internet high and low looking for the SWPS for my 00 and flat couldn't find one, they go for $400 used.
Some great tech info above from R6cowboy and JC316. I didn't personally know anything about the gas tank update or the situation regarding all those sensors and such on the earlier models.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

Get the Vette... You will never regret.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:05 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

That's the problem with older modern low production cars with multitudes of sensors and the like - the electronics go bad, the OEM discontinues parts support, and there isn't enough incentive for the aftermarket to reproduce replacement parts. This is a plus for the 4th gens; the electronics are rudimentary compared to the Corvette's and production was huge, so there's a good aftermarket.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RevGTO
That's the problem with older modern low production cars with multitudes of sensors and the like - the electronics go bad, the OEM discontinues parts support, and there isn't enough incentive for the aftermarket to reproduce replacement parts. This is a plus for the 4th gens; the electronics are rudimentary compared to the Corvette's and production was huge, so there's a good aftermarket.

In 01, the ebtcm is rebuildable and the SWPS is shared with every other GM vehicle. In my research, I found that GM was in a pissing match with the third party over the early C5 stuff. Not sure if it's true, but it's annoying either way.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
In addition to the revised mid '03 and '04 C5 fuel tank and pump. The intake fuel pump module assembly was also revised to a better quality/longevity design. But as previously mentioned the tank has to be dropped to access the pump, and to drop the tank the rear differential cradle has to be dropped as well. Which in my opinion (I've done it many times) dropping the rear diff cradle sounds more difficult than it really is.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Widebody is a big no no....How do you know how well it was done? When that **** starts cracking you're gonna be bummed. Cant just swap it like basic parts. And the fact that it's had different motors in it.... I think you're asking for trouble.