General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Gm crate ls3 vs blueprint

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gm crate ls3 vs blueprint

Hey guys, new here. I’ll give a little background to hopefully help with getting information.

I do race prep/fab for an Offroad shop. One truck we prep is about due for a fresh engine, trying to decide what the best route is. It was initially built with a CBM ls1 marketed at “500hp”. After only about 50-100 miles of testing the truck it developed a front main seal leak which turned out to be trashed thrust bearings (I could grab the harmonic damper and move the crank in and out by hand). The engine was removed and taken back to cbm, where they blamed installation error on killing the bearings, charged for a rebuild and was reinstalled while carefully measuring converter backlash. Truck was then taken back to cbm for a final Dyno check, all checked out but only made 300rwhp, cbm signed off dating it was drivetrain losses. 20 miles into the testing the motor went boom. 2 holes in the block, a broken rod, etc. now that’s 2 engines in 120 miles. convinced the customer to install a GM 525 LS3 as they have a great reputation for reliability in Offroad racing. This engine has been 100% bullet proof and won a season points championship. This one put down 396rwhp on its first Dyno session, and was put back on the Dyno after a season for a check up where it made 370rwhp. It now has another 1000 miles on it (3,600 miles total, mostly race miles).

Question now is stick with what has been bullet proof or try to get a little more power? One part that sucks is the 525 crate engine comes complete, but we don’t use the throttle body, manifolds, water pump, or harmonic balancer that’s included. Blue print offers a gen IV 427 with out any of those unneeded parts for the exact same price as the GM engine and is said to make 630hp and have forged internals. Opinions on the 427? It seems dumb to spend equal money and lose 100hp, but at the same time I’d hate to push them towards the 427 and have it blow up.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can easily sell the extra parts of the crate motor to bring costs down. Myself I would do what the customer wants that way nobody to blame. If it was my money and motor I would spend the money on a reputable engine builder that specializes in LS
motors and get a forged motor with good heads and cam and easily put out 600 reliable HP. All motors can let loose no matter who builds them.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Look at Texas Speed Engines, they got some great packages as do several others