General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car insurance

For those of you that have older vehicles that are in good condition and have extensive modification costs into them, who do you use for insurance and what specific kind of coverage do you get?

I'll be getting my 2002 T/A WS6 back from 21st Century Muscle Cars next week with basically everything engine/exhaust/intake done to it, and I'm assuming my existing generic coverage for a 17 year old car isn't going to cover almost any of the value should something happen.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2019, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got mine with Haggertys at an agreeded mount.Just tell them what amount you want it covered for and they will give you a quote.They do have specific things you will have to do.One is you need to have a daily driver.Another is it must be garage kept.I’ve also used American Classics but they have a lot of restrictions such as annual mileage.They almost make so you can’ drive it.
The following 2 users liked this post by inspector:
B52bombardier1 (09-28-2019), RollingThunder (09-29-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 195 Likes on 156 Posts

+1 to all above. I'm currently with an agreed value policy for $25K through the National Corvette Museum and I'm limited to 6000 miles per year. But if I'm approaching 6000 miles, I can buy more prior to that limit for a very modest additional amount of money but I don't believe I will ever do 6000 miles per year.

Rick
Old 09-28-2019, 12:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I've been a Grundy user for over 10 years now, the requirements/restrictions are basically the same as what Inspector listed above for Hagerty (must be garage kept when not in use, must have a separate daily driver, etc.) Mileage is unlimited, but the car can't be used for normal transportation duties. This is fine in my case, as I only ever use these cars for shows and limited pleasure cruising. It's an agreed value policy that's surprisingly affordable for the level of coverage.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Many insurance companies will cover modifications and upgrades as long as everything is documented and they're notified in advance. It's usually just a matter of contacting your company and telling them that you want to upgrade your coverage to include these upgrades. Some charge a ton more and some make you get an inspection done to verify and document everything. If you live in a state with strict laws and you upgrade your exhaust or seats/belts you may want to keep it to yourself lol

If it's just a matter of restoring to showroom new then you can probably get an agreed upon policy from your regular company. They'll make you get it appraised by one of their people and will cover you for that amount. It's always worth checking with your current company first to see what they can do.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My regular Insurance Agent told me to go to a classic carrier.The companies he represents will not do agreed value.I’ve been with him 25 years and he’s a great guy.He didn’t want me to get in an accident and them give me squat for my car.All’s well knowing that if it get’s totaled I know what I’m getting.I’m sure some regular companies do agreed value,but mine does not.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all very much for the feedback. Mine is garage-kept and I can't really see myself getting to even 1,000 miles in a year, so I'd still be okay if using the tightest requirements.

Will get quotes from the places mentioned above, and my current insurer, then go from there.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Car insurance