General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Keep it LS or BBC in truck for towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
8.0 Liter .. not a "racehorse" but its darn close to a diesel for some jobs,,, you'll just hate the mileage..
. Yes mileage sucks but I only go long distance a couple times a year so I just can’t justify a new diesel
Old 10-08-2019, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Just go Dmax and forgo the friggin around
Old 10-08-2019, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Thanks guys. This is for a swap into 2007 2500 suburban. They don’t make them in 2500 any more.
I've got a buddy with a "DuraBurb" D-max powered Suburban...bad *** ride. They're really not that hard a swap if you start with a running driving donor vehicle...

Originally Posted by big hammer
Just go Dmax and forgo the friggin around

This...
Old 10-08-2019, 10:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a gas 2500 hd with a 6.0 and 4.10 gears, and a duramax. The gas truck is a good in between from a half ton and the diesel. If your serious about towing frequently just buy a crew cab diesel and put a topper on it. Once you tow with a diesel you will hate towing with a gas truck I promise.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 447 Likes on 342 Posts

Why not just run some forged pistons and something like a LSA blower with a HUGE air to water cooler and spray meth when making long pulls? They make so much torque!

Love my suburban, this is what I plan to do one day.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls7colorado
Why not just run some forged pistons and something like a LSA blower with a HUGE air to water cooler and spray meth when making long pulls? They make so much torque!

Love my suburban, this is what I plan to do one day.
The LSA makes good torque but not even close to diesel torque.
In the end you'll still have as much money in that setup as you would buying a used diesel truck that would still out tow it and get better fuel mileage and last considerably longer.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Engine masters did like a 600cid big block with stock heads inductoin etc. Made diesel like torque and hp. Dunno how much a short block like that would cost. Op, you said you were looking at some dart stuff. Can you expand on that? What wereally you looking at and what we're you planning on doing? BBC parts can get $$$ quickly. 5 grand can buy you a nasty small block crate motor. 5 grand can seem to buy you a boat anchor when it's a big block.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
The LSA makes good torque but not even close to diesel torque.
In the end you'll still have as much money in that setup as you would buying a used diesel truck that would still out tow it and get better fuel mileage and last considerably longer.
of course its not diesel torque...
But there is no way buying a 20,000 dollar truck is the same as spending 5k on building an engine and with the stock LSA pulley boost will stay under 10psi and should last quiet some time with proper tune. You can find a cheaper diesel truck but it will probably need work $$$
Old 10-09-2019, 12:36 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,503 Likes on 2,159 Posts

To clarify on my earlier post, I wasn’t talking about buying a truck. Pick up a used duramax/Allison combo for $4-7k. All over fleabay and even cheaper than that in my neck of the woods. Everybody needs a winter project or two. GM has built gazillions of these engines and they are in every yard. I’m gonna do a H1 Hummer with a duramax swap one day. Love those rigs.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for diesel. If you are pulling steep grades at high elevation you need forced induction, NA isn't going to cut it at 6000'+. If the duramax swap is intimidating a mechanical cummins swap would be easier. The 8.1 in front of the alison is a decent option if you aren't loaded too heavy and at lower elevations but mileage will be rough if that's a concern.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The 8100 was an option in the 2500 Suburbans, would that be an easy enough swap?
Old 10-09-2019, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Lol. This is how half of my question asling threads go....should I go with option 1 or 2? And then 100 posts about option 3.

I think many people, like myself, just have no interest in diesels. I cant really even tell you why. At least no reason's that wouldn't be shot down immediately.

We tend to stick with what is familiar to us. And diesels are like a foreign planet for a lot of people.

And i know better than to ask about a turbo ls for towing on here. Even though all of the oems do them in some form.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Che70velle
To clarify on my earlier post, I wasn’t talking about buying a truck. Pick up a used duramax/Allison combo for $4-7k. All over fleabay and even cheaper than that in my neck of the woods. Everybody needs a winter project or two. GM has built gazillions of these engines and they are in every yard. I’m gonna do a H1 Hummer with a duramax swap one day. Love those rigs.

NOW THIS i CAN AGREE WITH!
Old 10-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Teching In

And Price! If you tow heavy loads often they are almost mandatory.
The OP could look at a supercharger and meth kit for the BB, It would give the truck more low end grunt but will also lead to a shorter engine life.
Originally Posted by KW Baraka
I would either buy a diesel truck.....OR.....I'd drop in a 440+ LS with LS3 heads and a Cam Motion stage 2 truck cam......keeping static compression in the 10:1 range. This is a small cam, but it's a very solid 'purpose built' low RPM shaft.
Another cam option is the Cam Motion Torquer cam.....which may shine well in an unloaded truck, but I don't know how it'll do towing 7K loads up mountains.
Final option would be to have Cam Motion grind you a custom cam......

You might also want to consider gears in the 4.10 range if you're not already there.

KW
Originally Posted by NHRATA01
The 8100 was an option in the 2500 Suburbans, would that be an easy enough swap?
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Engine masters did like a 600cid big block with stock heads inductoin etc. Made diesel like torque and hp. Dunno how much a short block like that would cost. Op, you said you were looking at some dart stuff. Can you expand on that? What wereally you looking at and what we're you planning on doing? BBC parts can get $$$ quickly. 5 grand can buy you a nasty small block crate motor. 5 grand can seem to buy you a boat anchor when it's a big block.

To answer clearly here - I have the 6.0L in it. And its a socal car so no cancer. Clean.

I have acquired so far:
  • Dart BBC 8.1 Gen 7 heads (LS intake, exhaust is larger than 454 by a bit. Dart made changes to the port and combustion chamber. (These were 1500) bare.
  • Dragon Slayer forged crank (Callies) 4.625 stroke. This is about a 1500 dollar crank or so. Maybe a bit more but its used.
Doesn't seem like alot I guess. But the plan included getting the Dart (or now world products) Gen 7 block iron and doing a 4.5 x 4.625 (2300 dollar block) . High compression (easy to run and find e85 near me and in all of CA).

I can slide this unit in in front of a built 4L80E (already have - 4500 or so).

Then I was going to put a real AAM 1150 in the back. 2500 Suburbans had the weaker 2500 axle.

I hope that is clear. Thanks for the responses. Great place to ask questions.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
I would either buy a diesel truck.....OR.....I'd drop in a 440+ LS with LS3 heads and a Cam Motion stage 2 truck cam......keeping static compression in the 10:1 range. This is a small cam, but it's a very solid 'purpose built' low RPM shaft.
Another cam option is the Cam Motion Torquer cam.....which may shine well in an unloaded truck, but I don't know how it'll do towing 7K loads up mountains.
Final option would be to have Cam Motion grind you a custom cam......

You might also want to consider gears in the 4.10 range if you're not already there.

KW
Thank you. 2500 GMT900 suburban already has 4.10. The RPMs build so much heat, even N/A. This was some of the impetus for my questons.
The following users liked this post:
KW Baraka (10-14-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 04:58 PM
Teching In

But there is no way buying a 20,000 dollar truck is the same as spending 5k on building an engine and with the stock LSA pulley boost will stay under 10psi and should last quiet some time with proper tune. You can find a cheaper diesel truck but it will probably need work $$$
Originally Posted by Che70velle
Originally Posted by bnorth
Another vote for diesel. If you are pulling steep grades at high elevation you need forced induction, NA isn't going to cut it at 6000'+. If the duramax swap is intimidating a mechanical cummins swap would be easier. The 8.1 in front of the alison is a decent option if you aren't loaded too heavy and at lower elevations but mileage will be rough if that's a concern.

Thanks again for the responses.

20k really is the minimum this would take for Diesel it seems. 28k out the door if I just send the truck to Duraburb. Its a possibility, but it would be like taking out another loan.

I will say that part of my requirements definition is to not have a Pickup truck. Dog, having a "bus" for passengers, and the general issue with not having inside storage is something that keeps me coming back to Subs instead of some Silverado with a Diesel.

I had an 8.1 in my GMT800 Burb and it did tow nice, but I only went east with that truck then and not north across the mountains. So I did not experience the true "Will I make it" opportunity.

When I was towing last month, my MPG was 6.8. C7Z in a box trailer. Man that was white knuckles.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:00 PM
Teching In

What I am hearing is that the aftermarket, while embracing turbos, does not feel comfortable with them in a high stress, long term scenario. 1/4 miles, 1/2 miles, 1 mile runs, and track days fine - but towing is not the realm.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Swapping in a Duramax starts at the engine purchase,, by the time its fired up figure at least another 5 to 10K in stuff to make it fit.
You'll also need to upgrade the frame because the Burbs frame wasn't made for that kind of torque back then.. totally different setup.

Would almost be cheaper/easier to swap the old 2500 body on to a later model duramax frame most likely.

Axles are no big deal, but cost $$ Currie/Dynatrack/Dutchman or if you shop there are some Stock Dana 70/80/90 units that may fit.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

5k to build an engine and the cost of the LSA supercharger ??? Then you have the cost of the computer/harness and tuning and everything needed to get it installed.
He'd be better off spending that same money of the BB he already has or swap in a diesel engine. Trust me I know how much it costs because I have an LSA swapped S10 myself. You can buy a decent used diesel truck for 10-15k, It's not going to be a new truck obviously but it will get the job done.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:34 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

5k to build an engine and the cost of the LSA supercharger ??? Then you have the cost of the computer/harness and tuning and everything needed to get it installed.
He'd be better off spending that same money of the BB he already has or swap in a diesel engine. Trust me I know how much it costs because I have an LSA swapped S10 myself. You can buy a decent used diesel truck for 10-15k, It's not going to be a new truck obviously but it will get the job done.
I find few ppl know the full
Cost of these swaps. LS swapped s10 is cool but not cheap

Quick Reply: Keep it LS or BBC in truck for towing