General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Engine Swap in GMC Yukon

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Engine Swap in GMC Yukon

I just bought a 2002 GMC Yukon with the 6.0. It has 204,000 miles and only gets about 15 MPG on the HWY. Can someone tell me which LS motor I can switch out to get the best MPG possible. If it also takes a transmission and gear change I'm up for that also. Thanks for your help!!!
Old 10-15-2019, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It doesn't make much difference when you are pushing a Brick down the road. A 4.8-5.3 might gain 3 or 4 mpg. but alot of work for not much gain. A good tune ,cold air box and a freer flowing exhaust might do as well with alot less work.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

The 6.0 is the best for mileage. Going smaller reduces torque which will increase your fuel consumption in city driving. The difference in highway is virtually nothing.

Instead of worrying about the engine you need to focus on the gearing. City driving or highway driving will determine which direction you need to go in to increase mileage.

If you want to increase both city and highway you need to focus on cutting weight. You drive a tank so you can't expect good mileage. If you want to get closer to the Silverado mileage then you need to get down to the Silverado size.
The following users liked this post:
cookseyb (10-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Engine Swap in GMC Yukon