General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Does AC compressor have a rating/Capacity? for engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does AC compressor have a rating/Capacity? for engine swap

Im in the middle of doing an engine swap and wanted to retain the AC. To keep things simple I was just going to run the LS compressor and make the hose bracket fitting instead of making a bracket to bolt up the compressor that was in the car originally.

My question is, for those that have retain AC during an engine swap, does the compressor have any rating that I need to be concern about?
Or can they be mixed and match and still be comfortable cold during the summer?
Old 01-04-2020, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 195 Likes on 156 Posts

Fixed output compressor versus variable output compressor. I was lucky that my 1999 GMC Sierra AC donor compressor was a fixed output compressor that was / is compatible with my Classic Auto Air AC system. No need for a different AC bracket and it fit nicely between my 70 El Camino frame rails.

What type of compressor do you have and what does the swap vehicle AC system need?

Rick
Old 01-05-2020, 07:17 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Fixed output compressor versus variable output compressor. I was lucky that my 1999 GMC Sierra AC donor compressor was a fixed output compressor that was / is compatible with my Classic Auto Air AC system. No need for a different AC bracket and it fit nicely between my 70 El Camino frame rails.

What type of compressor do you have and what does the swap vehicle AC system need?

Rick
I'd like to use an LS4 compressor on a 2001 Audi s4.

Based on what i found online I think they are both Variable output. Is there a way to distinguish them physically on mainly a spec type thing?
Old 01-05-2020, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 195 Likes on 156 Posts

The way I see things, you have already determined they are both variable output. Why ponder the deeper questions of what they look like? I'd move on to solving the bracket problem and what changes need to be made within the operating system of your PCM to support the Audi air conditioning system.

Rick

Quick Reply: Does AC compressor have a rating/Capacity? for engine swap