General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Gen 5 with a Carburetor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen 5 with a Carburetor?

hello, I'm new here. I was having trouble searching online so I figured I would ask and see if you guys had any thoughts.

To start off, I just picked up a Gen 5 L83 that I plan to swap into my 2nd gen Camaro. I was originally planning on getting an LS with a carburetor, but got a decent deal on this Gen V which has somewhat low miles (70k).

I know there is a lot of new technology built into this engine, but i'm still kind of stuck on the thought of putting a carburetor on it. It's something different, and seems a bit simpler to do. It looks like it should be possible, all the parts are available yet I haven't seen a single case yet where someone has done it.

What I have found so far is that some have reverted back to using LS fuel rails and intakes paired with stand alone computers. I can leave the DI fuel injectors in place to keep the cylinder plugged. ICT makes intake adapters that will allow a Gen V to accept a LS intake, and if it will accept an LS intake then I should be able to put a carburetor/intake combo designed for an LS engine as well.

I'm fairly confident that I can physically get all the parts to fit together. I know I will likely need higher octane gas due to the 11:1 CR, but other than that I have no idea how this combo will perform on this engine.

Has anyone else seen this done? Or am I just going ridiculously out of my way to dumb down the better technology.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have a 96 or later the coil over plug is a good set-up and can be done relatively inexpensively. you get rid of the Opti Spark and get more tune ability. 95 or earlier is OBD1 and requires a different front cover (expensive and hard to find). These are often overlooked engines because of the short run but they are really good and make good power. Amazon has some good books on these engines. Have fun, Bill
Old 01-14-2020, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

I would try to get ahold of someone at Holley, They have quite a bit of stuff out already and are always releasing more.
I would keep the injection if at all possible but a carb will work fine if you can control the ignition.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks,
I'll see if Holley has anything to say about it. maybe ICT Billet too since they make the intake adapter i'm looking at.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you decide to go with a carb, I don't see why it'd be any different than a gen1 sbc once you get the ingnition sorted. May have to cam it slightly different than the old sbc, but within the same families (90* v8) an engine is an engine is an engine. I'd imagine, with the raised ports and valve angles, it'd make quite a bit more power/torque than a comparable sbc as well. I come from that background, and even I'll suggest keeping the fuel injection though. Even if you go all aftermarket. Sure is nice to just reach through the window, turn the key, and fire her right up.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SevRages
hello, I'm new here. I was having trouble searching online so I figured I would ask and see if you guys had any thoughts.

To start off, I just picked up a Gen 5 L83 that I plan to swap into my 2nd gen Camaro. I was originally planning on getting an LS with a carburetor, but got a decent deal on this Gen V which has somewhat low miles (70k).

I know there is a lot of new technology built into this engine, but i'm still kind of stuck on the thought of putting a carburetor on it. It's something different, and seems a bit simpler to do. It looks like it should be possible, all the parts are available yet I haven't seen a single case yet where someone has done it.

What I have found so far is that some have reverted back to using LS fuel rails and intakes paired with stand alone computers. I can leave the DI fuel injectors in place to keep the cylinder plugged. ICT makes intake adapters that will allow a Gen V to accept a LS intake, and if it will accept an LS intake then I should be able to put a carburetor/intake combo designed for an LS engine as well.

I'm fairly confident that I can physically get all the parts to fit together. I know I will likely need higher octane gas due to the 11:1 CR, but other than that I have no idea how this combo will perform on this engine.

Has anyone else seen this done? Or am I just going ridiculously out of my way to dumb down the better technology.

Thanks.
It can be done, plugging the D.I. injector holes will leak. I did a full time port injection LT setup on a fox back in 2018. I kept having leaks with ICT plugs and created a hot spot in the chamber. Sent heads to FED to do their D.I. delete. Car still runs till this day just a lot of headaches.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Interesting, I was considering using ICT's block off plates to keep the injectors in place. I'm curious as to whether it was leaking around the o-ring seals of the fuel injectors? or leaking through the injectors since there is no longer a high pressure fuel source and they weren't meant to be used as a high pressure check valve...

I'll do a little more research on the injectors, but if they are going to cause issued then I may go ahead and keep it functioning... Unfortunately I did not receive any computers or harnesses with this engine so i will have to try and source that.

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Gen 5 with a Carburetor?