General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is LS power too much for some old cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

I've been wrenching on cars for almost 50yrs, Was a wrecker driver for quite a few, Newer cars are safer period. There is no point is trying to get through to someone like you. The fact remains the same, Speed does indeed kill. I've seen relatively low speed accidents kill and also shocked that people walked away from crashes that I couldn't tell what kind of car it was at first glance. People are always under the impression that old cars were built better and are heavier. That far from the truth, Sure old cars had a thicker gauge body panels but that about it. Most of them weighed less than 4,000lbs and many weighed less than 3,000lbs No boxed frames, No collapsible steering column, Most didn't have seatbelts and some only had lap belts. Doors would pop open in minor accidents. Better hope you don't put one on it top because it will pancake the top so tight they have to cut you out. Frontal crash over 30mph sometimes meant the motor and trans was shoved into the floorboard hard enough to trap your legs/feet between the floor and dash and you had broken ribs from hitting the steering wheel. Dashes were steel so chances are you were going to either break your legs or you at least felt like it for a few weeks. Hell I've seen floorboards wrapped around feet to the point that you could see their shoes. Those cars folded like wet cardboard all the time because there were no crush zones.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

In terms of the original topic...

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Well here's one way to look at it, Unmodified (stock) Cars are not and will not be safe in an 80mph crash no matter when they were built lol.
...agreed. And, as it applies to the original title/point of this thread, that's why I don't feel that LS power is inherently "too much" for cars of the era in question. Cars have been able to reach universally dangerous speeds for many decades, that's not something specific to LS1-or-later power plants. Sure, the LS1 can do it faster than the average I8/V8 of the '50s, but that has more to do with how you drive the car (vs. its ultimate potential). Cars don't reach those speeds by themselves, regardless of the engine (well, except maybe the self-accelerating toyotas... )
Old 06-04-2020, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 464 Likes on 350 Posts

bammax -- and yet, somehow, the death rate per mile driven has consistently been dropping over time. There's been a slight uptick since 2014/15 or so - likely due to cell phone usage in the car. Recent rates are 5 TIMES lower than they were in the late 50's/60's. Why? Because cars are safer now than they've ever been. If you keep insisting, a reasonable person might begin to think that YOU might be one of the dummies that was injured in all those nhtsa links above. (chuckle)

https://cdan.nhtsa.gov/tsftables/Fat...ty%20Rates.pdf

Quick Reply: Is LS power too much for some old cars?