General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need help deciding between 2 LS project cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help deciding between 2 LS project cars

I'm in a pickle and could use some input. Currently have a 2001 Mazda Miata and a 1998 Corvette LS1. I do have the T56 out of a GTO and a 3.42 posi diff from a Cadillac CTS. Doing the LS Miata is a ton of work, I know. I never considered an F-body because the one I want has always been pretty pricey... an LS1 Trans Am with a 6 speed. But as luck would have it, I saw one near me on Craigslist. Black on Black, WS6 manual trans with an asking price of $7000. It has some issues. Minor paint stuff, bad tires, power steering pump whines, surges at low RPM, "ABS INOP" light, traction control light, "service soon" light. But no check engine codes, lol. And the A/C does work. It's got some sort of short throw shifter, and flowmaster exhaust.

I'm just struggling to make a decision. The LS powered Miata would be an insane amount of fun. It would perform better, and be more fun to troll people with. The handling is incredible. But it's a lot more work... Like a TON more. I'm tall, and I fit better in the T/A. It looks way cooler. And I could get it running close to perfect way quicker and just enjoy the car a lot sooner than the Miata. Honestly if it wasn't a Black WS6, with a manual I probably wouldn't give it a second thought. But that is my ideal combo. But I drove it, and I don't know if it was because this one wasn't cared for, but the clutch was totally numb. Zero feedback at all. I actually thought it was broken at first, because I didn't feel much resistance, and even barefoot I couldn't feel any engagement. Just at some point the car started moving. Steering is kinda numb, the throttle response was bad (but I'm 99% sure it just wasn't running right). Are these things common to the platform and can be easily addressed?

So help me out. There's a lot of pros and cons for each car. I'm just having a tough time deciding.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go with the WS6. I am also tall and I drove a Miata once and had to put the top down because my head wouldn't fit. Like you said, it's going to be a ton of work. Sounds like you are leaning towards the WS6 anyway. But if you can afford it, why not buy the WS6, fix it, and do the Miata project on the side?
Old 05-17-2020, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

having done retro fit LS project, stick with WS^, its a no brainer really from cost and work stand point not to mention the most valuable asset..TIME ! Fix, drive, enjoy, mod, drive more, mod more repeat lol

Quick Reply: Need help deciding between 2 LS project cars