General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Newbie: question about LS1 problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie: question about LS1 problems

Newbie question here. If there is brown sludge/slime in the coolant reservoir what does this mean? The coolant reservoir dip stick comes out with slime that literally looks like someone poured engine oil in there. The car does not overheat whether idling or driving at high or slow speeds there are no other signs of bad head gasket. Oil pressure is always good. I read that the power steering cooler can cause the brown slime, could this be it? Or is this what happens when dexcool is not changed at all?

car is a 2000 camaro z28 ss.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:47 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I think you have already solved your problem - sounds like the power steering cooler has failed and contaminated the coolant. Old Dexcool can get brown and a bit sludgy, but it would never appear (on its own) as engine oil being poured into the system as you have described. Most likely, the PS cooler has failed. This is very common. Both systems will need thorough cleaning, and the cooler will need to be deleted or replaced (I would just delete it, IMO). In the early years only SS/WS6/Firehawk came with the cooler, so you can order a one piece pre-molded radiator hose for an earlier base model LS1 car which will allow clean deletion of the cooler (as it would have come from the factory).
Old 09-25-2020, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I think you have already solved your problem - sounds like the power steering cooler has failed and contaminated the coolant. Old Dexcool can get brown and a bit sludgy, but it would never appear (on its own) as engine oil being poured into the system as you have described. Most likely, the PS cooler has failed. This is very common. Both systems will need thorough cleaning, and the cooler will need to be deleted or replaced (I would just delete it, IMO). In the early years only SS/WS6/Firehawk came with the cooler, so you can order a one piece pre-molded radiator hose for an earlier base model LS1 car which will allow clean deletion of the cooler (as it would have come from the factory).
Did the year 2000 ss have a power steering cooler? I have found conflicting results, wikipedia claims year 2001 had the power steering cooler and on this forum I have found that 99 and 2000 had the cooler.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...oler-pics.html

The above post is what the coolant reservoir dipstick looked liked but less gunky and more smooth like engine oil if that makes sense. It looked more like what you see on this persons radiator cap on the pictures below but the radiator cap was clean and no milkshake in the engine oil.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:17 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

All LS1 SS/WS6 cars 1998-2002 came from the factory with power steering coolers. You can verify this on the original SPID sticker on the driver's door jamb (RPO "V12" is for the power steering cooler). In other words, if you have an LS1 SS then it most certainly came with this cooler regardless of the model year.

There were some other option packages that also came stock with the power steering cooler, such as the NHRA edition Pontiacs. In 2001 or '02, it became standard issue on all the LS1 F-bodies, including base Z28 and Formula/TA.

This cooler is located in the middle of the two-piece radiator hose nearest the power steering pump.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
All LS1 SS/WS6 cars 1998-2002 came from the factory with power steering coolers. You can verify this on the original SPID sticker on the driver's door jamb (RPO "V12" is for the power steering cooler). In other words, if you have an LS1 SS then it most certainly came with this cooler regardless of the model year.

There were some other option packages that also came stock with the power steering cooler, such as the NHRA edition Pontiacs. In 2001 or '02, it became standard issue on all the LS1 F-bodies, including base Z28 and Formula/TA.

This cooler is located in the middle of the two-piece radiator hose nearest the power steering pump.
Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply: Newbie: question about LS1 problems