General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Anyone ever seen this before???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever seen this before???

So I went and picked up a 2000 z28 6mt yesterday for cheap from a guy who said it had a knock and it would need a rebuild/new motor. I could tell it was coming from the top of the motor so I jumped on it. Today I pulled the valve cover on the passenger side because this is where it seemed to be coming from and found a rocker almost completely backed off and turned sideways. Has anybody ever seen this before??? I don’t think the motor has ever even been touched. Didn’t seem like the coil pack bracket had ever been off the valve cover
Old 11-22-2020, 03:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

By the looks of the cylinder head I would guess the oil was not changed often. Did you take out the pushrod to see if it's bent? It may just have a collapsed lifter. I'd change the oil, try and get that rocker back on and see how it runs.
The following users liked this post:
foxfan (12-04-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I don’t think it was the best taken care of motor lol. I ran to the junkyard and got a rocker and pushrod and replaced both even though neither looked bad. When I dropped the pushrod it I pressed down and could feel the lifter compress some.
Old 12-12-2020, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake cleaner, some pop sickle sticks and a lot of mess to clean up lol. Mine looked like that when i bought it in 2013ish, looks brand new now.113k still going.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever seen this before???