General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Used GM Truck Shopping

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Used GM Truck Shopping

Help..
​​​​​Im primarily looking at quad cab/4 dr. Family of 4.
wont be my daily/work car(cobalt ss does work travel duty.)
Definitely want GM as I have a Nova and wanna LS swap eventually and never owning an LS based vehicle it'd be the perfect opportunity to get my feet wet etc.
Maybe extended cab if it's too good of a deal/newer/and ultra clean, and what's a great deal is kinda hard to say I guess.
4x4 is a plus but not necessary.

I found an 05 extended cab with 67,000 original miles..super mint..grand parents owned..called insurance and the bank and insurance..well he wanted 16k and.NADA/kbb says it's worth like $10,300.
It did sell to someone a couple days ago though.
Definitely needs to be under $25k and honestly I really don't wanna go over 20k.
​​​​​
I have some concerns mainly about dod/afm..
Was it all 06+?
Is it that bad? Will computer deletes be enough but mechanically the lifters etc.. will need replacing?
Would u steer clear of say like a 2011 extended cab 4.8/5.3 with like 125k miles?
Eventually I'm gonna pull the damn trigger, just gun shy/that damn payment shy lol. Plus Ill hate getting something used and it needing engine/transmission work so the more I spend/newer/less miles I'd venture to say the less work etc..it may need.
​​​​​​

Old 11-18-2020, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 195 Likes on 156 Posts

125,000 miles? No worries, if cared for up to now. Check compression and oil pressure. Expect a few engine sensors to need replacement starting around 150,000. Mine has needed a temperature sensor, cam shaft position sensor and four fuel injectors replaced with rebuilt injectors. Oh yea, that 4L60E transmission needed a local $2100 rebuild, too. The 3-4 clutches lost that lovin' feelin'.

Stuff happens. But I think mine will easily go to 250,000 with the care I'm giving it.

Rick
Old 11-19-2020, 04:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 274 Likes on 190 Posts

If fuel mileage isn't a big concern, I'd look for a 05 to 13 2500hd. It'll have a 6.0 and 4l80 /14bolt rear end they are very reliable . Our last work truck was still running good at 325000 mi. Ove course it went through a tranny / alternator/water pump/ etc normal wear items. Also there emission exempt so you can get away with alot more .
Old 11-19-2020, 05:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 380 Likes on 252 Posts

Wow 16K for a 15 year old GMT-800 truck!

Some folks will pay those high prices though. My brother in law bought a 99 Silverado new and he's more picky about his truck than his $90,000 Porsche and his $60,000 E Class Benz. The Silvy has around 40K on the odometer and when we were installing a new bed-rug my neighbor offer him 12K for the truck which of course he turned it down... I thought they were both crazy lol. I payed 10K for my 2000 Sierra 18 years ago and have at least that much in mods through the years so It's staying put. It's almost impossible to recoup selling anything that's hotrodded unless it's a rare muscle car.

They made millions of these trucks and you shouldn't have to wait to long to find a nice rust free quad cab. Price is depending on the area you live and down here in the south (SC) there are a lot of rust free GMT-800's for sale. Whereabouts are you located... if up north in the rust belt... I'd head south or west for a rust free find.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

Used truck prices are insane right now. If I were you, I would wait a year and let the bubble burst before buying a truck.

Quick Reply: Used GM Truck Shopping