General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

The infamous lifter tick???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The infamous lifter tick???

Hey everybody as you can tell from the title I got the infamous tick or at least I think. I have been swapping my 300zx with my ls1 that came out of a 2000 c5. I finally have it wired with the Holley terminator x and finally got it tuned. Before I start this was my first swap ever and it is my first V8 I have every had so I am learning as I go, but I did take the necessary steps of mods before I put the motor in car. Ms4 cam, ls6 intake, 7.40 chromoly pushrods and .660 dual valve springs. Now I did change lifters and trays but didn’t use GM LS7 lifters. I went with the LS7 style lifters from TSP put everything back together got the car tuned and it sounds awesome. Now week later first time actually getting on it I did so and as soon as I can to a stop I had tick. I was just 2min away from the house so I got home and noticed oil pressure was dropping. Changed oil pump with meiling high flow and still had the tick. Oil pressure started at 45 old start but went all the way down to 7 before I turned it off. Pulled the motor apart and there was not bad lifters, the valve springs was good and rockers was good. Cam looks fine doesn’t look chewed up but we did notice the lifters in the trays was extremely loose? Also pulled the oil filter off (K&N) and it looked sucked in. Would that filter sucked in and clogged cause oil pressure to drop and tick? I ordered new lifters the GM ones and new trays will pull cam tomorrow but everything looks good no bent pushrods. Sorry for the long post but like I said I am new so I research and research and research but I just couldn’t figure it out if the filter is the what caused the tick and oil pressure to drop or not. I’ve drove the car twice prior to the pulls and had no problem. Maybe break in clogged filter causing this?? Anything is appreciated
Old 01-10-2021, 06:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I was going to ask what Filter you were using but you mentioned. I had a similar problem years ago and it was actually caused from a crappy Fram Filter.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
I was going to ask what Filter you were using but you mentioned. I had a similar problem years ago and it was actually caused from a crappy Fram Filter.
Yea I hope it was filter. Lifters looked good gonna pull cam today to see how it looks
Old 01-10-2021, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like a bad filter starving the car of oil. Same problem.

Quick Reply: The infamous lifter tick???