General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

RELIABLE 5.3 turbo build?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RELIABLE 5.3 turbo build?

I have a LM7 out of a 2003 Yukon that I'm putting into my 1950 Chevy pickup. The motor has 145k miles on it and ran like a champ when we pulled it out of the Yukon. My goal is to make 500-600hp with a single turbo setup, however, reliability and driveability are very important to me. The truck will be a weekend warrior/street cruiser and will probably never see a track, nor will it be used for towing or hauling.

So my question is whether a reliable 500-600hp LM7 turbo build is even possible... and if so, what approach would you guys take to get there?

A few things to note, I'd like to keep the bottom end stock as there are no issues with it and it'll also help keep costs down. Also, I'm running a 4L80e tranny out of a early 2000s HD Silverado, a 8.8" posi rear end out of a 2000 Ford Explorer, and the motor has the stock 862 heads. Lastly, I know everyone says I'll want more power later on so build up now.... but I think I'm pretty much maxed out with the 500-600hp range as my 1950 Chevy pickup doesn't weigh much (around 2,700lbs) and I'm sure I'm going to have traction issues as it is with such a light truck.

So what would be your ideal build for something like this, keeping reliability in mind. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: RELIABLE 5.3 turbo build?