General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

To sell parts or keep modding

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To sell parts or keep modding

Hello everyone! Been a while since I posted anything. I have been fighting this internal delima lately and would like some opinions. Several years ago I was all about making my bird go faster, like we all do. It took me about 5 years or so to collect all the parts. That was about 3 years ago I finished collecting. I have yet to start installing anything because I just can't find the motivation to tear down the motor to a shortblock again.

I really enjoy the way the car sounds now with mostly stock internals and a gmpp hotcam. I don't race her or challenge anyone else on the street anymore. I am just really wondering if it is worth it to mod further or just sell off my parts.

Parts to be installed are tea pnp heads, Martin specced cam, fast 102 intake, nw 102 tb, tsp 102 maf, fast 104 lid, racetronic fuel pump, ls3 injectors, Johnson lifters ect.

Just not sure it is worth it anymore
Old 06-21-2021, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

It's only worth it if you really want it. If you are done with racing and showing off etc. Then it may be better to sell your parts off and put it into your savings. If you are loving the car the way it is now then great! Don't change a thing.
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I agree with the above. If you are happy with the car for street use as it is, and you don't have any need for increased performance (such as the pursuit of better track times, etc.), then it would be silly to embark on a whole new build when everything is running just fine. Keep in mind, things don't always go smoothly with an engine build, and you may have tuning (or other) hassles to sort out for quite some time, etc. These things are only worth dealing with if you really want the increase in performance (or, of course, if the engine is dying and just needs a rebuild anyway). Otherwise, every little problem or setback with the build is going to seem like an even bigger hassle than it would otherwise, because you'll just be asking yourself, "why did I even start this, the car ran fine and I was happy". This sometimes leads to unfinished projects being sold, parked for years, etc.; it's hard to stick with it when there are issues and your heart wasn't really in it in the first place.

My advice will always be - don't mess with something unless you find it unacceptable or it's already broken.
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Thank you for the insights. That is what I had thought. I just wanted some validation. I would love to have 50-75 more rwhp but I just lost the motivation. If I am not gonna use the parts I know someone will. Mine might not be the fastest but she sounds great.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:43 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

My experience dovetails with the advice above. In the early 2000's I was into pursuing ever better dragstrip times. I had done most of the bolt-on stuff, so then if I was going to get into the 11's, I would need a cam. And if a cam, then why not heads to compliment it?

I decided that for the most part, my car was a daily driver and that I didn't need to be pursuing dragstrip numbers for their own sake. Plus I didn't necessarily warm up to the need for additional tuning and poorer (cammed) gas mileage. So I ended up sticking with stock internals.

The car was doing everything I wanted of it. So, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"
Old 06-25-2021, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RevGTO
My experience dovetails with the advice above. In the early 2000's I was into pursuing ever better dragstrip times. I had done most of the bolt-on stuff, so then if I was going to get into the 11's, I would need a cam. And if a cam, then why not heads to compliment it?

I decided that for the most part, my car was a daily driver and that I didn't need to be pursuing dragstrip numbers for their own sake. Plus I didn't necessarily warm up to the need for additional tuning and poorer (cammed) gas mileage. So I ended up sticking with stock internals.

The car was doing everything I wanted of it. So, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"
Awesome. I know my car will be much more power with all the addons I have. It's just getting the motivation to install/maybe sell them.

Quick Reply: To sell parts or keep modding