General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Grundy vs Hagerty for collector car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Grundy vs Hagerty for collector car insurance

Hi All :
Just wanted to tell you about my recent insurance purchase . I currently have three 4th gen f bodies insured with Grundy at about $500 each per year.
I recently purchased a 2015 Evo X final edition with 200 miles as a collector car . My everyday driver is a 2014 Evo X MR . I called Grundy for a quote .
They came back with a lot of questions that I never got with the F bodies ( younger drivers in the house ? is the car modified ? what are my current regularly
insured cars ? etc) and they were a little difficult on the agreed price (65K) , but they were eventually ok with everything and gave me a quote of $1000 per year .
I was mildly unhappy with the price so I decided to give Hagerty a try . I considered Hagerty about 10 years ago when I first started collecting cars . I researched
Hagerty vs Grundy and found that most people were happy with both , but that Grundy was better about payouts. So I called Hagerty and they quoted me
$2200 per year . I pay $1600 per year for the MR with Allstate with very high coverage for a regular daily driver !

I went online and found other sights also stating that Hagerty was significantly higher priced than Grundy . Grundy does have some limitations , but none that are
a problem for me .

I hope this is helpful and that someone saves some money .

Marty
Old 09-26-2021, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 424 Likes on 308 Posts

Grundy denied me because of performance mods. Hagerty approved me 100% online. Never needed to talk to anyone. They didn't even need pics and agreed to insure at my desired price.

as far as using them in the event of an accident, hopefully I'll never know. But Hagerty was a better experience overall.

68 camaro insured at 25k, telling them it was modified, 450 bucks a year. Full coverage.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

I've had a better experience with Grundy - much better pricing than Hagerty for my '71 and '98, no difference in limitations for the sort of policy I wanted, nor did they have any issues with covering either car at my requested limits. Modifications were not a problem in my case. I haven't personally needed to file a claim, but I have a long time local car show friend who, in recent years, needed to file two claims with Grundy for separate incidents. One incident involved a mechanical failure on the car resulting in damage, the other was a collision. In both cases, Grundy paid out with no issues and he was pleased with the experience.

You will always find some folks who have had bad experiences with ANY insurance company, so it's really more important to look at the overall average of reviews vs. individual outlying stories. One thing that seems to be very consistent with Hagerty is that their pricing is generally higher than Grundy, all else being equal - but, at least in my case, I wouldn't have been getting any additional benefit for the extra money.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Grundy was about half the price for my 69 Pace Car
Old 09-27-2021, 10:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts

Another consideration is how restrictive the policies. My current collector policy is restricted to car shows, parades, occasional pleasure drives, etc. It costs less than half of Hagerty, but Hagerty allows you to take the car to work occasionally and on long trips and has no mileage limitation. They won't deny coverage if you stop at the store on the way home and get clipped in the parking lot. Don't know how Grundy compares, but that's why it costs more than my other policy.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:03 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Another consideration is how restrictive the policies. My current collector policy is restricted to car shows, parades, occasional pleasure drives, etc. It costs less than half of Hagerty, but Hagerty allows you to take the car to work occasionally and on long trips and has no mileage limitation. They won't deny coverage if you stop at the store on the way home and get clipped in the parking lot. Don't know how Grundy compares, but that's why it costs more than my other policy.
Grundy also has no mileage limitation for hobby related usage, including long trips like the Power Tour plus any amount of traveling for shows, cruise-ins, etc., in addition to limited pleasure driving being covered. You aren't supposed to use the car for commuting, but that's a non-issue for me as I don't have a commute (and even when I did, I wouldn't have used any of my garage queens in this way even if the policy covered it). For folks who have a special interest type of car that they want to use as an occasional/fair weather daily driver, Grundy would not be the best option - but otherwise, I feel it's the better value.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I have Safeco at $30k/AV and $500k everything else, on my CETA vert. I think I pay $600-/+/YR, in 3 installments, but not 100% on that, since it's auto-pay and I have better things to worry about. They are lenient on driving it, but they really don't want you to be DD it; the garage issue is the same, like all others. Had to send in basic pics, but other than that, nothing else - No Receipts, No Inspection, No Evaluation, No Appraisal.

I was on Grungy for my 02 WS6 vert at $25k/AV and $200k. After a chick hit me head-on, while finger ******* her phone, Grundy was kind of a PITA, but luckily I had a Pitbull-Shark-Honey Badger hybrid-mutant Attorney, lol... needless to say, they kicked me after everything was finalize... at least they let me buy my bird back for $200, lol
Old 09-29-2021, 01:48 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,653 Likes on 2,232 Posts

I was with Grundy for several years with my Chevelle, and a 92’ Camaro. Grundy recently dropped all coverage in the state of Ga, so I went with Hagerty. It’s a little more money for the same agreed values. So far, so good. Hopefully I never need it.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
I was on Grungy for my 02 WS6 vert at $25k/AV and $200k. After a chick hit me head-on, while finger ******* her phone, Grundy was kind of a PITA, but luckily I had a Pitbull-Shark-Honey Badger hybrid-mutant Attorney, lol... needless to say, they kicked me after everything was finalize... at least they let me buy my bird back for $200, lol
She didn't have insurance?
Old 09-29-2021, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by srode1
She didn't have insurance?

She had nothing 😖
Old 10-07-2021, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Grundy recently dropped all coverage in the state of Ga, so I went with Hagerty. It’s a little more money for the same agreed values. So far, so good. Hopefully I never need it.
REALLY?! I've been with Hagerty for years and have been very happy. I wonder why they dropped GA?
Old 10-08-2021, 04:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

Wasn't that because they got screwed by Flood Cars, hurricanes and folks that don't understand water goes down hill.. I know about 3 major companies bailed on states along the big rivers..
Old 10-09-2021, 10:35 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,653 Likes on 2,232 Posts

They gave us no reason as to why. My brother had an ‘87 Silverado insured through them, and his policy was a mid-year renewal, supposed to renew in June. Mine renewed in January. He told me about the issue in June and told me to be ready to change. Sure enough, I got the letter in November. They were extremely helpful in helping me with other choices of carriers, so it wasn’t like a total mess.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't know if it worth anyone's time or not. But American Auto Owners does Classic Car insurance, the WS6 qualified for it. As long as the car is stored in side and you submit pictures they do an agreed upon value and are extremely affordable.
I have about 8 classic cars including the WS6 with them and they are extremely affordable, WS6 costs me $83 a year. I don't drive any of the cars more than a few thousand miles a year if they are lucky, (probably more realistic 500-1000 miles a year).

I know from talking with them there are certain requirements to be able to qualify but they are very affordable.

Bicknell Insurance Inc (is who cares them, speak with Kelly)
(970) 395-2425

My friend a has a real 38 code 66' Chevelle and couldn't believe how much better the pricing was. Obviously you need to fill out info. Like ie. Car is required to be stored inside, does car have car cover inside?, is the car driven more than 5,000 miles a year, etc. But I have been very happy with them.

I got hit pretty hard in a Classic Ford about two years ago, the other insurance company wanted to total the car out, Bicknell and Auto Owners asked me what I wanted to do. I said fix the car and not total it out, they fought for me with the other insurance company for a month or two and they ended up paying to fix the car and not total it out. I appreciate an insurance company that will fight for you!

Hope this info helps if you guys are looking for insurance, or at minimum a price quote to compare.

Quick Reply: Grundy vs Hagerty for collector car insurance