General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Storage over winter…..

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 06:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Storage over winter…..

So want to get current opinions on Winter car storage.
1- Let it sit all winter long and start it up 5 months from now. (Battery tender)
2- Start it up every week or two and let it run for a bit.

Car sits in my garage which is semi climate controlled. At what point do you think it is better to just let it sit vs weekly/biweekly startups.
Old 12-26-2021, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Here's my winter storage ritual for garage storage.
  • STA-BIL storage fuel treatment in fresh gasoline, been using for 12 years and no issues
  • Four 18" squares of plywood to park car on this helps reduce flat spotting on tires while car sits
  • Battery Tender on Battery
  • Make sure coolant is good for winter storage ~ -35 F or so

Not much for starting and running an engine briefly. Most engine wear occurs on cold start. Seems pointless to do needless cold starts every week or so on a car stored for winter ~ 4 to 5 month period.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by AgFormula02
2- Start it up every week or two and let it run for a bit.
Weekly startups are the worst thing you can do, Not only are you adding wear and tear on a cold engine as mentioned above. You're also contaminating the oil even if you let the coolant reach operating temperature. The coolant may reach temp but the oil won't get hot enough to help dissipate moisture/contaminants. Another thing to consider is the moisture that will sit in the exhaust after each run. I just use stabil and a battery tender and change the oil before driving the car in the spring.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks all! Will just let her sit tight until May and not touch.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:37 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Not much for starting and running an engine briefly. Most engine wear occurs on cold start. Seems pointless to do needless cold starts every week or so on a car stored for winter ~ 4 to 5 month period.
Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Weekly startups are the worst thing you can do, Not only are you adding wear and tear on a cold engine as mentioned above. You're also contaminating the oil even if you let the coolant reach operating temperature. The coolant may reach temp but the oil won't get hot enough to help dissipate moisture/contaminants. Another thing to consider is the moisture that will sit in the exhaust after each run.
Both of these guys are absolutely correct.

I let mine sit all winter (4-6 months), never started. I use my own personal blend of STA-BIL and Red Line SI-1 in a fresh tank of fuel. I don't use a battery tender but I do hook up a smart charger every couple of weeks to keep the battery charged. I also air the tires to max rated psi (usually somewhere between 44-51psi for most Z-rated tires in this size) and park the car on rubber lined carpet to minimize any temporary flat spotting of the tires (as well as to protect the undercarriage from any condensation that develops on the cement).

I've been following this general routine for many, many years now and my engine, fuel system, tire & battery life have all been nothing short of excellent. No ill side-effects at all. The car fires up every spring like it had just been running an hour ago.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Excellent advice by many above. I certainly agree about the short quick start-ups. Not a good idea. Let it sit.

Quick Reply: Storage over winter…..