General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

General Questions as a First Time LS buyer

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question General Questions as a First Time LS buyer

Hey everyone, I have a really good deal that was put before me but I do not want to get in over my head if it too much to handle with reliability and maintenance. The car I am looking at is a 2005 Cadillac CTS-V. It has a good amount of work done to the motor and other parts. External appearance is stock otherwise.

Mod List:
Texas Speed V2 Cam and push rods
PRC 2.0 Heads
LS7 Lifters
Melling 10295 Oil Pump
Brian Tooley Racing Trunnion upgrade
ARP Head Bolts
ARP Balancer Bolt
All new GM gaskets plus front and rear main seals
Lingenfelter Intake
Kooks Longtubes and X-pipe
Corsa Exhaust
Creative Steel Motor and Trans mounts
Creative Steel Shifter bushings
CTS-V2 shift ****
Monster clutch kit (flywheel, pressure plate, disc and throw out bearing
MSD Wires

I am familiar with the common problems on these, Differential being the number one issue. i will have the creative steel brace bought and installed right away if i do purchase the car. The questions I have, as a first time LS buyer, is how daily driveable is a cammed LS? What additional maintenance or things do I need to worry about in comparison to an unmodified car? I am not worried about handling the power as I have driven many fast cars, however none have been LS powered. I appreciate any feedback or general knowledge I should be aware of.

Thank you,

Luke
Old 01-23-2022, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Heads & cam packages by nature tend to reduce reliability vs stock. More power equal stress. However, LS's are very reliable when install is done correctly and maintained.

Best to test drive and see what the car is like. That cam would be too big for some folks in a 5.7 liter. At lot will depend on how well the tuning was done.

Probably want to pay special attention to the rear end to make sure everything is good.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 01-23-2022 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Ignoring everything technical,, just drive it if ya like the way it drives, its a keeper if not move along.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Heads & cam packages by nature tend to reduce reliability vs stock. More power equal stress. However, LS's are very reliable when install is done correctly and maintained.

Best to test drive and see what the car is like. That cam would be too big for some folks in a 5.7 liter. At lot will depend on how well the tuning was done.

Probably want to pay special attention to the rear end to make sure everything is good.
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Ignoring everything technical,, just drive it if ya like the way it drives, its a keeper if not move along.
Thank you both for your input. I really appreciate the feedback. I plan on looking at it and test driving it this weekend. It will be my daily driver so I really want to make sure I love it and can handle it.
Thanks again!

Luke
Old 03-17-2022, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Looks similar to my build which is a 383 stroker. I daily drive it every day. The specs on that cam are pretty much the same that I'm running. I'm burning a bit more gas than I used to but i daily drive it and love it.

Quick Reply: General Questions as a First Time LS buyer