General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Baby seat 99 Trans Am, nees recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Baby seat 99 Trans Am, nees recommendations

Was wondering if anyone has a baby seat recommendation for a 4th gen? My car is a 99, so it doesn't have the latch system. Is there a retrofit kit, did someone make their own latch systen? Is the locking seat belt just fine? Then what baby seat would fit best back there, my kid would be forward facing
Old 04-04-2022, 07:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

From an earlier thread...

The hooks on the trunk floor (called the "LATCH" - Lower Anchor and Tether for CHildren - system) weren't included in f-bodies until the 2000 model year. They were available as a dealer installed option prior to that so it's possible you might still be able to buy them (part number 10251104). As far as I know, they just bolt in so you can install them yourself.
It turns out that they are still available and only cost $15.

As far as the child seats themselves - sorry, I can't help you there.

​​​​​​​
Old 04-04-2022, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

It's been 20+ years for me but used to haul both my kids in my 01 Camaro every day. back then we just had the baby seats that just used the lap portion of the belt and route the shoulder portion behind it. Did just fine...even with a hit of nitrous for fun.. Then again I grew up in the backs of pickups and looking backwards in the Vista Cruiser.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Standing Z
Was wondering if anyone has a baby seat recommendation for a 4th gen? My car is a 99, so it doesn't have the latch system. Is there a retrofit kit, did someone make their own latch systen? Is the locking seat belt just fine? Then what baby seat would fit best back there, my kid would be forward facing
I have a 98 with the same issue. I bought the brackets mentioned above but haven't gotten around to installing them yet. You have to drill holes and mount them. This adds the tie down for the overhead strap, not the seat brackets.

With that being said the rear belts should lock in a crash. I can't say how safe or unsafe the children would be.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 166 Likes on 150 Posts

Whichever car seat you get, make sure to put a towel or blanket under it because the car seat will leave indentations in the leather.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan C
Whichever car seat you get, make sure to put a towel or blanket under it because the car seat will leave indentations in the leather.
good call.. forgot about that. You can remove each rear seat pad by loosening 1 bolt. Then they are nice and flat for the carseat.

Quick Reply: Baby seat 99 Trans Am, nees recommendations