General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What is this part called?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Default What is this part called?

2002 Trans Am, stock engine.

On the passenger side top of the engine there is a rubber hose running forward that goes into the front of the intake manifold right behind the throttle body. It is right under the throttle cable. There is a short piece about 4 inches long that goes into the front of the intake and the other end goes in the rubber tube. This piece is broken and cracked. What is this part called so I can order it. Doesn't look like a big deal to change, clamp on the hose end, nipple into the intake. What is this 4 inch piece and what is it called?

Some kind of vapor return? It does not seem to effect performance at all, isn't leaking anything, I just noticed it while changing my spark plugs. Sorry, I don't have a picture. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Sounds like you're referring to the PCV line - these often crack in exactly that area (meaning at the boot for the PCV valve and/or the elbow). But GM does not sell the boot or elbow separately, you have to buy the whole PCV line assembly which was over $100 many years ago (no idea how much it costs now, or if they even still offer it). Or you could modify the arrangement to allow for a custom (cheaper) repair, or perhaps there is an aftermarket solution now available that wasn't when I last looked into this.

Regardless, if the line is broken/cracked then it's a vacuum leak until you find a repair.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Thank you! I I thought it might be PVC related, so I looked on line and could only find the whole assembly, and I expected that I could order just the end piece only.

Quick Reply: What is this part called?