General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

School me on a manual steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default School me on a manual steering rack

Hey all, years ago I deleted my PS pump (it had gone bad) and just cut the lines and drained the fluid out of the factory rack. It SUCKED at slow speeds but it was a weekend car so it never mattered to me much. Now, I put a 9" rear in the car, with a spool and it REALLY SUCKS now lol. Also lately the steering has just felt really sloppy, almost like the guts of the factory rack are worn/loose and letting the front tires have a ton of play. Anyway I'd like to put a proper manual rack in the car now to improve drivability, and hopefully tighten up some of the slop.
I see some of the kits listed and have already made peace with the fact they are expensive. My two questions are:

1. When you switched from a factory power rack (like mine that's been drained and used as a manual rack) to a proper manual rack was there a big difference?

2. If you have swapped to a manual rack, what kit did you go with? How was install/fitment etc.

**Are any site sponsors having any black Friday /cyber Monday sales? I'd love to save a few bucks! **

Thank you!
Old 11-26-2022, 08:05 AM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rsrevil347

1. When you switched from a factory power rack (like mine that's been drained and used as a manual rack) to a proper manual rack was there a big difference?
There will be a big difference. A manual rack will be easier to steer since it's made to be a manual rack. It feels nothing like a non operating power rack.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by rsrevil347

Look at it this way, Both racks have a different gearing so with power steering it takes 2 turns of the steering wheel to go lock to lock, where a manual rack will 3.75 turns to go lock to lock depending on the rack to make it easier to steer without power assist. So yes it will turn much easier but you'll also be turning the steering wheel a lot more when going around corners.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 11-26-2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just put a flaming river manual rack on my mustang. On my chevelle I had manual gear box and then power and then switched back to manual for drag racing because I liked that if I shut the motor down at the top of the track, the steering didn't change. I wouldn't drive a power rack with no fluid, etc.

The flaming river rack was 750.00 which is expensive, but wow is it really nice craftsmanship. It is 3.75 turns lock to lock, as LLL stated.

I plan to run skinnies on the front most of the time, and a manual rack with skinnies isn't bad at all, and I won't drive the car a ton on the street anyway.

Also make sure if you switch that you get the right u joint for the new rack.

Quick Reply: School me on a manual steering rack