General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

2002 z28 original drivetrain removal...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 z28 original drivetrain removal...

I have a totaled out 2002 z28...The car was hit in the rear so from the tail shaft to the radiator it is good...85000 miles...yes it was my driver before the accident...I need to know the basic steps on how to undo the wiring, specifically the computer so i can start it back up out of the Camaro.. I hear the term vats alot and also hear they must be cleared or it won't start after removed...true or false. I really do not want to spend 2500 on a wiring harness...If i do this it will be going in a 57 Chevrolet...Thank you..
Old 12-11-2022, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Search for some write ups on engine removal in these cars, I'm sure they are out there. That is A LOT of information and steps to it, more than I care to, and probably most, take the time to reply to every step.

Just start taking **** apart. You will figure it out.

As far as the VATS, it's something that can be turned off in the tune in the PCM. You will either need to purchase some sort of interface and program to do it yourself, find someone with HPtuners to do it for you or send your PCM off somewhere and have it done.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:14 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 195 Likes on 164 Posts

IMO, the best way to do it, especially on a wrecked car, is to drop the entire front cradle with the transmission attached. But there are various ways ... some like to do it out the top.

The engine harness attaches to the interior harness behind the passenger side kick panel. Detach it there and you can remove the powertrain with the harness attached. You can detach the harness from the PCM or leave it attached and remove it with everything else.

VATS won't be of concern with a 57 Chevy. Research on the Conversions and Hybrids forum can help you figure out how to make it all work in an old car like that.

Quick Reply: 2002 z28 original drivetrain removal...