General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Predicting HP gains before modifications

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Predicting HP gains before modifications

I wanted to put this idea in-front of a couple people to see if there would be a general interest in this service.
In my spare time I rebuild engines and tune them locally. Before I tune the engines I often get the question how much HP will i get from this modification. If I don't have an close A to B comparison i can reference i typically don't provide an answer. The average person that reaches out to me doesn't like that i cant tell them what the exact new HP is going to be and I never hear from them again. My long term plan is to get a engine dyno i can play around with but that is a few years off. In the meantime I've noticed there are now pieces of software that are fairly accurate at predicting horsepower.
My question to the forum is do you think people with limited engine knowledge or are short on the time to research would be interested in a service that gives you a real estimate on HP before you spend your money on the mod?
For example people ask me a lot which cam should i put in my car? There are a lot of variables that go into a good cam but if you are driving the car on the street I think it would be nice to know is that extra duration on the cam worth the extra HP when the car could idle like crap
I can think of multiple examples where this could be helpful but i wanted to open it up to see if someone would be willing to pay $100-$300 to receive a 3-5 page report on the engine in question to help them make a decision on a mod or to help create a list of parts needed to achieve a HP goal for an engine build
The following users liked this post:
swathdiver (09-10-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 03:19 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Here is my 1-cent (probably not worth 2-cents).
Your idea of a paid report might have been more successful 10+ years ago, but so much info is available online now, especially on YouTube, including from people with a dyno.
I wonder if there might be liability problems if you over-estimate the gains.
Marketing would be a challenge. Every over-estimate will lead to at least bad reviews and if you estimate too conservatively you might also get bad reviews.
Hopefully I'm all wrong, you have a great idea.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrvedit:
G Atsma (09-01-2023), Y2K_Frenzy (10-27-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mrvedit, thanks for your input. Not too worried about reviews that just how business works these days.
This might just be better used as a value adder for my existing customers that come to me to get a tune.
Old 09-10-2023, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cpressl90
...but i wanted to open it up to see if someone would be willing to pay $100-$300 to receive a 3-5 page report on the engine in question to help them make a decision on a mod or to help create a list of parts needed to achieve a HP goal for an engine build
not seeing this - for that amount most would simply buy the software and do it themselves.
Old 09-11-2023, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

$100-$300 is a lot of coin for an estimate. If it was $20-$30, I could see people paying for the software estimation, but once you are getting into triple digits, that becomes money that could otherwise be used for pushrods, valve springs, gaskets, or some other go-fast part.
The following 2 users liked this post by MuhThugga:
jetech (09-11-2023), Y2K_Frenzy (10-27-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 05:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are asking too much.
Spoiler!

Last edited by Che70velle; 10-28-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 225 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriciaBarnard
I think you are asking too much.
Spoiler!

So you’re saying that one should take out a loan for their horsepower estimate

Last edited by Che70velle; 10-28-2023 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Fried Spam

Quick Reply: Predicting HP gains before modifications