General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

The Cold Finally Did It

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 09:27 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Default The Cold Finally Did It

All at once in a single day ... from a perfect door panel to this. Warming in the sun today from 0*F, open and shut the door and boom!
Old 01-16-2024, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

wow, did you ever remove any staples or do anything to reinforce the door panel in that area? Mine had a faint crack starting when I got it and puled the door panels off and pulled staples out and used a zip tie to pull it back together, been 8 years and haven't noticed any further cracking, but we're having some sub zero temps by me now..makes me want to not even touch the car lol
The following users liked this post:
Nathan C (01-17-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 09:46 PM
Pontiacerator

Yep, I did all that. My car originally came with leather, but I swapped in a cloth interior a couple of years ago because there was no foam left in my driver's seat.

At that time, I pulled some staples and epoxied where the crack was starting to faintly form on the underside of the cloth panel before installing it. There was no cracking visible on the outside at all ... until this.

The passenger side has a very faint observable crack on the outside, but that door hasn't been opened and closed during this cold snap.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Sorry to see that but I accepted mine for quite awhile now. In the grand scheme of 20+ years of ownership, may all our problems be so minor.
The following users liked this post:
Nathan C (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 847 Likes on 648 Posts

At least it's a clean break. Using a hot staple plastic welder might make for a decent repair.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:06 AM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Sorry to see that but I accepted mine for quite awhile now. In the grand scheme of 20+ years of ownership, may all our problems be so minor.
Yep, as my wife reminded me, it's not like a friennd of ours who had her pipes burst and utterly destroyed her house.

Originally Posted by wannafbody
At least it's a clean break. Using a hot staple plastic welder might make for a decent repair.
Thought about that, but I still have the "leather" door panels in perfect shape stored away. Despite its 20+ years as a DD, I've always kept this car in top shape. But I scraped the RR quarter panel a couple of weeks ago, and just may let it descend a little further into hoopty status before mounting a serious refresh effort this spring or summer.

Quick Reply: The Cold Finally Did It