General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Pre-made roll bars - Who makes the best fitting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 561 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Pre-made roll bars - Who makes the best fitting?

As much as I don't want to put a roll bar in my Firebird, if I want to race it more than once I'm going to have to. The chassis shop near me has too long of a wait list and I don't think I'll need more than a simple 6 point. Even if I run quicker than 10.99, my local tracks won't hassle me with a 6 point. No cage at all, I'm going to get kicked out. So those of you who installed a pre bent kit, who makes the best one in terms of fit and quality?
Old 02-15-2024, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

One important thing to consider, is this car going to be on the street? because most cages don't work in a street crash,
they are designed around a guy in a fire-suit, A rated helmet, gloved and boots. They also assume FIA roll bar padding
(Its not soft and squishy its a high density hard foam that absorbs tons of energy. )
will be used at impact points. Crashing unprotected in a street car with a cage can go horribly wrong..
The bars don't give up.
Had too many friends do it... once. (This was way common 30 years ago now much less common)
It why there are bolt in cages and roll bars that are set back behind the seats far enough to hold up the
car not close enough for your head to hit the bars. Many sanctioning bodies don't allow either version....
The following users liked this post:
mk3cn4 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 561 Likes on 445 Posts

That's exactly my worry, to be honest. I know of a guy in my area who had a pro street '66 Nova and got rear ended at a stoplight, not even severely, and his head hit the cage hard enough to kill him. I like to enjoy my cars on the street - I don't live at the track, you know? But I still want to be safe. I might be able to get away with a bolt in cage at my local track, I'm not sure though.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Wolfe racecraft, but you aren’t getting one new, only used.

Quick Reply: Pre-made roll bars - Who makes the best fitting?