General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Bought ws6 roller. Cheapest option for motor and trans? The car was an auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought ws6 roller. Cheapest option for motor and trans? The car was an auto

I recently bought a ws6 roller. I’m new to LS cars and looking to throw a motor and trans in. What would be my best option? If I go to a junkyard what should I be looking for? I need the motor, trans, harnesses, and ecu. Any recommendations?
Old 03-05-2024, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 561 Likes on 445 Posts

4th Gen cars had the torque arm mounted to the tailshaft housing, so you'd have to convert the tailshaft housing or get a torque arm that mounts to the body. I'm unsure what exact transmissions interchange ( aside from needing to be a 2WD 4L60E), but any Gen III engine will fit and can use the factory computer, or a Gen IV will work with some changes to the electronics.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 319 Likes on 234 Posts

I use car-part to search for car "stuff". You can search locally and or nation wide. Keep in mind the 4th gens have been out of production for over 22 years so most anything engine trans may need a complete rebuild.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 225 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
I use car-part to search for car "stuff". You can search locally and or nation wide. Keep in mind the 4th gens have been out of production for over 22 years so most anything engine trans may need a complete rebuild.
Yeah at this point finding anything other than a “roller” in a junkyard is going to be a miracle. If he’s doing a salvage yard build he’s probably better off going with a newer truck motor and tranny maybe.

Quick Reply: Bought ws6 roller. Cheapest option for motor and trans? The car was an auto