General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Looks/Turbo
Looks 1st
18.48%
Turbo 1st
81.52%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Look or Performance 1st

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 06:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post Look or Performance 1st

which to get first???
If I do the looks 1st will people be more likely to roll up on me and wanna play around? If so I would not be able to do much with a stock motor Lol.
On the other hand...I want the STSturbo Kit at 7psi. then I would be fast as all get out and no one would see me coming Lol.
I could maybe do looks since the car is already over 100hp more than my previous cars owned... I fuess there are pros and cons for both and I just want some opinions that maybe might sway me one way or the other.
Im going to try and set this up as a poll but not sure on how to do it.

Thanks a millon
Old 05-12-2006, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

Visual mods are a waste of money... get the turbo, and leave the rest of the car looking stock.. then NO one will expect it... unless they hear you blow off valve that is.

Last edited by EvoWake; 05-14-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Performance, but don't expect to be the fastest in your town just because you have a turbo. Do you have any supporting mods? There's more to going turbo than just slapping a kit on. I vote full boltons and lots of time reading the forced induction section first.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Iron Sights
Performance, but don't expect to be the fastest in your town just because you have a turbo. Do you have any supporting mods? There's more to going turbo than just slapping a kit on. I vote full boltons and lots of time reading the forced induction section first.

I asked for what supporting mods that I would need and STS told me Im safe with stock internals using their kit at 7psi/non intercooled but need to run 42#injectors, and a MSD Fuel Pump Booster.
He said 8psi and up on their kit would require FMIC and additional upgrades...like Z06 cam/Springs, and hardened stock length Pushrods.

I am not sure about the MSD Fuel Pump Booster vs. a Walbro225lph though. I notice some kits use 42# with MSD and others with Walbro. What is the diff. and why is one better than the other?

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 05-12-2006, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock internal is fine. But he is talking bolt-ons. Like headers, intake, throttle body, pulley, etc... Which you really shouldn't need. IMO appearance is a waste of money because these cars look pretty good stock. What kind of appearance mods were you thinking about doing? The only thing I would do is wheels/tires.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm more of a looks guy. At stock, our cars are already great performers. When it comes to racing, I'm much more interested in burning rice than the musclecar fellowship, so from a performance standpoint I have little to be concerned about. These LS1 motors pull and keep on pulling!

Either route you take will make you feel like you're driving a new car, ESPECIALLY the performance mods. But there's nothing more satisfying, not even seeing the headlights of some lousy Prelude in your rear view, than the head turning of every single person on the road and sidewalk.

You can't go wrong either way though.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

I am planing to go with FI soon. For now I am just doing bolt-ons and lots of appearance. Since I am not totally set on what big mods that I am gonna do(FI, New Engine,Tranny,etc) I am just getting all the apperance mods I want to do out of the way!! Good luck on whatever you choose!!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

I would say do a few basic bolt-ons and some things for looks too first. Seeing you have a Z28 I would get some 17 inch wheels SS hood and spoiler. I then would get a few goodies for the handling as well. Then maybe a catback and a few other small bolt ons. Then I would go with the Turbo kit...just my .02
Old 05-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

well i wouldnt get a cat back if your goin with sts. i would get headers though and maybe a y pipe.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Launching!

thanks for the info guys. keep it coming.

Looks wise I want wheels, tires, springs, halo head lights, window tint, smoked turn signals, and I want the older tail lights with just the red and white. I hate how mine are red white and amber. To many colors coing on back there.

Not sure what mods I can do in the mean time if I go looks 1st...since STS told me not to do headers, exhaust and intake

any thoughts?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Appearance-only is for rice, go with performance. If you have a super-aggressive looking car, but it's stock it just doesn't go together. However, having a 10 second car that looks stock is cool.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

A ugly fast car get more respect then a pretty slow one !
Old 05-12-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

To be honest I wouldn't get the turbo. I would scrap that all together and get headers, intake, exhaust, pulley, throttle body, and a cam. Then get springs, wheels/tires, tint, and lights.

All that and you have performance plus looks. Not as much performance as with an sts but like you said you will now have over double the rwhp than any car you've ever owned. That my friend is a BIG DIFFERENCE. Not to mention you will have all the looks. IMO going from <200rwhp cars to a 450rwhp car isn't the best decision.

Plus all the above mods can be had for less than $4,000, I would think.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are deciding between chin spoilers, neons, and spinners and an STS kit you need to give me your keys, you are not worthy, lol
Old 05-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stanger88
If you are deciding between chin spoilers, neons, and spinners and an STS kit you need to give me your keys, you are not worthy, lol

No no crazy neons and crazy looking stuff. Lol I like more of the clean classy look but still knowing its a muscle car.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

I think the "go" should come first, but I completely disagree that "show" is worthless. A classy, clean car will look AMAZING compared to a stock car. Some subtle ground effects, maybe halos, tint, wheels, berger panel, maybe some stripes, and it will do wonders to the car. However, get the performance first.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Too bad I won't be able to see all of that beauty in my rearview mirror!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Launching!

I want mine to look like this guys car for the most part. I know tons of people have these rims but they are affordable for me and I have not seen many or any Camaros at all in my area of town with them.
Attached Thumbnails Look or Performance 1st-ssalone-copy.jpg   Look or Performance 1st-ssalone2-copy.jpg  
Old 05-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Launching!

you guys are freaken funny lol Its a tough decision though.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dude, these cars look great to begin with.

What kind of answers did you expect on this board?

This isn't ls1rice.com or ls1poser.com!

"It's time to unpimp the auto!"